We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singing pub

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Singing pub

Can anyone tell me if the pub is within walking distance from the town, and if it's open all year round. We have a group of 30+ that will be staying at self catering cottages in Downings and won't have a car at night. We rented a coach bus and driver so not available in the evening. Last time I was in Downings was 1977, so am looking forward to seeing the changes.

4 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singing pub

Forgot to say, we will be there toward the end of November

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singing pub

The pub is in Clontallagh about 3km outside Downings - about 45 minutes if you walk, which is maybe a bit much on narrow roads on a dark November night. Also, I would not assume that the pub would be open at that time of year. Some rural pubs in Donegal run on very restricted hours in the winter.

PS I suspect that you will see many changes in coastal Donegal since your 1977 visit - including a proliferation of holiday homes which IMHO have spoilt some locations, however there is still much to see and enjoy in the county as a whole.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singing pub

Thanks so much for the info. Next I will have to find out about taxis. I think I was at that pub in '77 now that you mentioned the way there. Def not walkable. We're staying at the same cottages I sayed at then also. Thank God they have been knocked down and rebuilt since then. It's still full of memories for me.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singing pub

Transport may be a problem given the size of your group, as local taxi services might be limited. Given that you have to contact the pub to make sure it's open for your visit, why don't you get their advice on how best to get your group there. Telephone number is 00 353 74 91 55176 if dialling from outside Ireland or 074 91 55176 id dialling from within Ireland.

Reply to: Singing pub
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Downings
Recent Conversations
More Downings Topics