We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for small producers

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
looking for small producers

For years I have used the Harvest Fair results as the main way to find wines we like and I just assumed that all Sonoma County producers entered the even. But now I have learned that there are some wineries that do not participate in the event due to production requirements.

So, how does one learn where to find these "ultra small" producers that don't meet the requirements to enter the event?

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for small producers

Are you familiar with Garden Creek? They are a very small, family winery in the Alexander Valley, producing excellent higher end Chardonnay and a red blend. They are only open by appointment, and you'll taste with either Karin or Justin, who are just wonderful.

Gustafson Family Vineyards is one I haven't been to, but I've heard great things from guests who've gone. Their property is well up Dry Creek Road, overlooking the valley and Lake Sonoma, and they have a few small production wines (http://www.gfvineyard.com/about-our-wines.php)

I believe you've said before you're familiar with Unti? If not, definitely head there in the Dry Creek Valley.

John Tyler Wines in the Russian River Valley are a long time grape growing family (they grew some of the Château Montelena winning Chardonnay!). They now produce small amounts of Zinfandel and Pinot Noir, which are very tasty! They are building a tasting room, not sure of when it will be done, but currently tasting is by private appointment in their family home.

Talty is a small family producer of Zinfandel in the Dry Creek Valley, and David Caffaro is another one I like in the area.

Another way to find out more would be to call the people at the Wine Road, they would be happy to help!

Hope those were some new ones for you!

Innkeeper Mandie

Honor Mansion

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for small producers

As always, Mandie, you are a wealth of information.

I am familiar with Unti, Talty and Gustafson ( have heard of them but ot yet been) but the others are new. I will need to get them on the list. Thanks so much.

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for small producers

I checked with Steve, one of the owners here at the Inn, and he also recommended Yoakim Bridge & ZIchichi in addition to the one's I had mentioned before.

Also, if you haven't been there yet, Williamson Winery in downtown Healdsburg is great, they pair every wine tasting with small bites, and it makes for a really nice tasting experience.

I hope you have a wonderful wine tasting trip, it seems like you have a lot of wineries to hit!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for small producers

Thanks to Steve....I did not have Yoakim Bridge, but do have Zichichi on my list..

My list....its mostly a wish list that gets adnusted as I hear about places of potential interest. I think there are 40 on it now, but that of course would never be attempted in one of my short visits! Now, if I could get that dream trip of about 2 weeks, I could make some headway with it! :)

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
281 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for small producers

We are heading to Healdsburg this weekend. otherfootloose, i would love to see some of your list, mine is also quite lengthy, so trying to narrow it down. We like reds, mostly Pinots, and enjoy smaller wineries. We will have about 3 1/2 days to enjoy the area.

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for small producers

otherfootloose-I'm sure your boss/family/friends would understand if you disappeared for a couple of weeks in Wine Country :) Just be sure to bring them back a good bottle!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for small producers

Mandie, the thought HAS crossed my mind...;)

8. Re: looking for small producers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 22:17