We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip FROM Healdsburg

Idaho
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip FROM Healdsburg

We are spending a few days in Healdsburg at the end of May. We have a private guided wine tour scheduled as well as a segway tour of the vineyards.

We have one day with nothing planned and a convertible rented. Where should we head? We will be taking a day to drive through the Napa valley on our way back to Sacramento for our flight, so that is out.

I have debated: Jenner, Mendocino and Clear Lake.

Anyone have any input or any other suggestions?

We have not done the Armstrong woods, but did do the Muir woods last year (are they similar?)

Thanks for any input you might have.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip FROM Healdsburg

There's a lot to see around Healdsburg. You are only scratching the surface with a one day guided tour.

Or, you could take a drive out to the coast if the weather is decent. Mendocino is too far for a day trip unless you want to really drive a lot and Clear Lake is not that exciting unless you have a boat.

You are probably best off if you wait and see what the weather forecast will be for that day before making definite plans.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip FROM Healdsburg

I agree that the very best day trip for you would be a drive out to the Sonoma Coast with a stop at Armstrong Redwoods (www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450) near Guerneville. If you have time drive further north of Jenner to Salt Point State Park (www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=453) which is especially picturesque. If you have more limited time out on the Coast, drive south and take a walk at Bodega Head (www.bahiker.com/northbayhikes/bodegahead.html). See www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=451 and www.parks.sonoma.net/coast.html for more info.

Idaho
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip FROM Healdsburg

Point taken! I always seem to be too ambitious with what I want to do and end up tired and stressed by the end of the day.

I think maybe we will hit a few wineries on the Westside Road. We did this road a couple of years ago with a guide, and definitely have a few favorites. Then we will just see if we make it all the way to the coast, or end up getting sidetracked.

My new motto will be 'Let's just see what the day will bring' (That is really tough for an uber-planner like me!)

Thanks

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip FROM Healdsburg

The website www.russianrivertravel.com has tons of great information about the area you are considering....interesting places to stop, dining options, etc. If you aren't familiar with it already, do check it out.

5. Re: Day trip FROM Healdsburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 20:17