We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fun things to do other then wineries?

Lancaster...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
fun things to do other then wineries?

we will be staying in the Sonoma valley for 5 days and have found lots of great wineries to visit, but I was also looking for other things to do. maybe farm tours, outdoor adventures, fishing, festivals, cheese making. and hands on adventures of some kind; making cheese, working on a farm. any suggestions?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,596 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fun things to do other then wineries?

Jack London State Park is in Glen Ellen and is hundreds of acres including trails, and the buildings of his "Beauty Farm", including one with the artifacts he and his wife, Charmian, collected on their South Seas Travel.

I would include the tractor/tran tour of the sustainable/biodynamic vineyards of the Benziger Family winery. It is extremely interesting. You should call ahead of time. I believe it is $15, including tasting afterwards.

There are a lot of other activities in the valley...google for olive pressing, for example.

A good day trip would be a loop trip to Armstrong Grove Redwoods State Preserve, at Guerneville, then to the coast down to Bodega Bay, and back via Petaluma. There are some nice state beaches between Jenner and Bodega Bay for walking. Too cold to swim.

Contact the Sonoma Valley Visitor's Bureau...

Here is their calendar of events.

sonomavalley.com/index.php/…

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fun things to do other then wineries?

Krissy, the Farm Trails program and the Farm to Table program each may have something to interest you.

Also, there is a zip line center over in Russian River somewhere- I think that the name is Sonoma Canopy Tours, or something similar to that; we noticed flyers about it on our last visit in March.

Ravenswood overs blending seminars, which might be interesting.

There is a fish hatchery in Geyserville, if that sort of thing intersts you...if you haven't been to one, they are way cooler than you'd think.

There is a Segway Tour business based in Healdsburg,

We passed a place called Russian River Valley Produce which may have more of the farm-oriented theme you asked about; that was near Heladsburg, too.

Regarding cheesemaking, I know that I have seen something about that and I am fairly certain it was associated with one of the Farm-to-Table programs that I saw for last summer. Can't say about current offerings,

Sonoma County Vineyard Tours is a free program offered as specific wineries that allows you to take a self-guided tour through the vineyards with a map that you get from the tasting room. Off-hand I don't know all the participants, but Mauritson was on the list in the past.

Sugarloaf Park has a nice trail system and an observatory...

Hope this helps.

Edited: 16 June 2011, 20:52
united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fun things to do other then wineries?

I can't beleive I forgot to mention the vineyard tours on horseback available at the Roche property!

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fun things to do other then wineries?

I actually just got an e-mail saying that the horseback riding at Roche has been discontinued! They want to be able to take more time to focus on the winery.

krissylee, if you do want to horseback ride, there is also riding available at Chanslor Ranch along the beach in Bodega Bay, as well as in Armstrong Redwood Park.

Innkeeper Mandie

Honor Mansion

Walnut Creek...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fun things to do other then wineries?

This has been very helpful to me as well. We will be staying at Sea Ranch and have twin 8 yo boys and 11 yo daughter. Any kids specific things going on around and over July 4 th weekend?

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fun things to do other then wineries?

jerggod,

you might get better answers more quickly if you start a new thread focusing on your childrens' ages and July 4th...You're likely to get lost in here.

Also, I feel sure there have been recent 'conversations' about July 4th with the family so a forum search using july 4th might help.

The events calendars at winecountry.com, winecountrythisweek.com and www.sonomacountry.com are all likely to have things that will work for the entire family. wineroad.com might, but I think they focusmore on wine-related things.

www.russianrivertravel.com may also help- that is the site that (IMO) best covers the area west of 101-, but I can't recall an event calendar on that site.

7. Re: fun things to do other then wineries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 12:18