We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonoma County in Feb/March

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Sonoma County in Feb/March

My hubby and I are planning a trip to Sonoma and Napa to celebrate our 20th anniversary (Feb 29). Will we run into problems with wineries shut down for slow season?

I have found a couple of vacation rentals in Forestville and Sebastopol but if you have suggestions for small vacation rentals (1 bedroom with full kitchens) with good dining options for a celebratory dinner nearby, I would appreciate it.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,030 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonoma County in Feb/March

You should not have an issue with wineries being open. I would suggest looking at an online map of the wine country and then deciding on where to stay. Forrestville is great of you want to do the Russian river area and perhaps the Sonoma coast and Healdsburg It will be a longer drive to Napa

If you want to look at vacation rentals do check out airbnb.com or vrbo.com

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonoma County in Feb/March

Thank you, belomiser. We are actually planning 3 nights in Napa and 4-5 nights in Sonoma so driving between Sonoma and Napa isn't an issue.

VRBO is my go-to and I've come across a few promising properties on Trip Advisor.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonoma County in Feb/March

WE have been to Sonoma in February and March and have never had an issue with winery closures. Some may have shortened hours, but at least for us there was no problem going where we wanted.

If you are looking at Forestville, The Farmhouse Inn would be a great place for a celebratory dinner.

Level Contributor
35,958 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonoma County in Feb/March

I agree with the Farmhouse Inn, it's a wonderful place for dinner. It is also Michelin-rated. Enjoy! :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonoma County in Feb/March

If you are interested in a cottage. these are lovely and within walking distance of the historic plaza in the town of Sonoma. Several excellent restaurants and the Cheese Factory/ deli., tasting rooms. You can walk to the Sebastiani winery from the Plaza.

http://www.bungalows313.com/

The town was founded during Mexican rule in the early 1800's and still has original adobe buildings, now housing boutiques and restaurants, etc.

It is only 14 miles from the city of Napa, and anchors the winieries in the 18-mile long Sonoma Valley.

TEXAS
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonoma County in Feb/March

I haven't gone then but have gone in Dec. And it was fine. We love the zen suites at the Gaige House in Glen Ellen but there aren't kitchens. I love Girl and the Fig restaurant.

Sebastopol...
Level Contributor
95 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonoma County in Feb/March

Happy 20th Anniversary! My husband and I are celebrating 20 years in September. We enjoy K&L Bistro in downtown Sebastopol for special occasions, or for any excuse at all. It is a small French inspired place with consistently excellent food, service, wine and menu offerings. (Hence the 3 Michelin Stars). Wine and Beer only.

For a little more of nightlife scene, go to Underwood Bar & Bistro in Graton, the little tiny village between Forestville and Sebastopol. They have great food for ones who like to explore new taste sensations. Also fabulous drinks and bar scene.

I also like Peter Lowell's in Sebastopol for the fresh local ingredients and many wines by the glass, however the ambiance is not conducive to a celebratory dinner.

For something very special with an ocean view go out to Bodega Bay (half an hour from Sebastopol) to the Bodega Bay Lodge and Spa which has a nice restaurant and an outdoor fire pit where you can sit and have a glass of wine and watch the sun go down (if it isn't too foggy - but the end of February it should be very nice).

If you really want to get more ocean feel, go up to Rivers End Restaurant in Jenner. (about 45 min from Sebastopol) The food is always amazing however the portions are small and if you want to substitute anything your request will be met with disdain. They have a spectacular ocean front view and a deck where you can sit outside and see the sunset. I understand they have places to stay right under the restaurant but I haven't been there so can't offer an opinion. Parking is always a challenge so look for it on the left as you go through Jenner. It is the shack surrounded by cars. Reservations a must.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

8. Re: Sonoma County in Feb/March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 10:15