We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're looking for fun events

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
We're looking for fun events

We have travelled to Harvest Fair for several years, and I would like to try something new on our next visit to Sonoma.

We know that the Barrell Tasting weekends don't interest us since we don't want to get involved with futures, or the crowds, but that is the only one that I would consider "off the table".

The calendar is open at this point, so time of year doesn't matter, and we are not focused on any particular varietals or growing region, just looking for something new to try.

Does anyone have a favorite event to suggest? And would you please share why it appeals to you?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,676 posts
5,812 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're looking for fun events

We like Winter Wineland in January. There are lots of wineries that participate in it - so the crowds (except at a handful) have already been manageable. It is in January.

(note: the focus used to be on wine and food though so not sure how their new focus on wine and art will impact this event.

www.wineroad.com/events/winter_wineland/1

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're looking for fun events

Thanks mini. I've heard of this, but didn't know that it now features art.

Sebastopol...
Level Contributor
95 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're looking for fun events

Have you tried going to Shakespeare in the Park? It is held each summer in Sebastopol's Ives Park. It is a great community event, people sit on blankets and bring gourmet picnics. It is great for adults and children to see actors so close up and personal, bringing Shakespeare to everyone!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're looking for fun events

Thanks True Blue- that is an interesting idea as a side trip!

I was actually trying to get informatin about some of the wine-related events, but I will put this on my 'others" list fir a summertime visit.

I like Sebastopol; I think this would be a great diversion.

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're looking for fun events

Wine and Food Affair, the first weekend in November, is a lot of fun. It's hosted by Wine Road, the same association that does Barrel Tasting, but it's their premier event. The food is excellent, and you get a beautiful cookbook with your ticket price.

Passport Weekend, the last weekend of April, is a really nice event for Dry Creek Valley only.

Labor Day Weekend is always Taste of Sonoma at MacMurray Ranch, where a lot of wineries and restaurants all get together in one place, plus there are usually wine maker dinners, and other events, over the weekend.

Some other events to look at would be Grapes to Glass (mostly Russian River Valley, in August), Taste of Alexander Valley (usually in June), Pinot on the River & The Crush Festival, both in Healdsburg in October.

These are all Healdsburg area events, I'm not as familiar with events in Sonoma Valley.

Innkeeper Mandie

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We're looking for fun events

About Winter Wineland, the art features are actually really nice. Each winery either hosts a local artist, who will be on site showcasing their work, or the wineries put together an educational wine display.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We're looking for fun events

Mandy you are always a wealth of good information!

Do you have a personal favorite?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,833 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We're looking for fun events

Have tickets to Winter Wineland--the very first time--so it'll be fun to experience this event from a local's standpoint!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We're looking for fun events

Well Forest', I was hoping to hear from you, too! Thanks.

How about weather for these winter events you guys?

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We're looking for fun events

I'll be doing Winter Wineland as well! It's a fun one, and there are so many wineries that participate that even though there are a lot of people participating, they are spread out pretty well through the valleys for the most part. Passport of Dry Creek Valley and Wine and Food Affair are two others that I would highly recommend. The tickets are a little more, but the events are really wonderful, and the wineries all put a lot of effort in to them.

Last Winter Wineland it was actually beautiful weather, warm and sunny and dry, but mid-January could go either way.

Innkeeper Mandie