We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

Thanks to some great input from the Napa board I have decided to spend the 1st 2 of my next trip in Healdsburg, the 3rd night will be in Yountville for our FL res (a surprise for my wifes Birthday).

I am sure this is the most common question so I will let you know our preferences and I am hoping for some good suggestions for wineries to visit.

We will have a car (we share tasting with the driver just having a sip) and like to do about 5 wineries in a day.

So we are Red wine drinkers mostly. Pinot and Cab being our favs. Last trip we only visted a few wineries in the area, but ones I can remember are:

Pappa Pietro Perry (sp?) - My wife loved the Pinot Noir, made me drive back to get more!

Silver Oak, very good, bought a really nice bottle of Cab Sav at xmas that we drank.

Ferrari Canero - Doesn't really stand out to me.

Robert Young - Very nice wines, I think we actually bought a white and the girl behind the counter was amazing.

Places we meant to go but didnt:

Rodney Strong

Russian River Vineyards

Adrain Frog

So can anyone reccomend some good ones based on this?

On another note our greatest discovery was Rombaur a few years ago, I am very we were not the first, but as red wine drinks...wow! We looove their Chardonay, and have been search out something similar ever since (buttery on buttery). So does anyone have any secret finds on Rombauresk Chardonays anywhere in the area (could be Napa as we will be over there too).

Thanks for any help, I am sure these questions get asked all the time, but I have tried to be as specific as possible. Some of the best wineries we have been to have been tips from people, and likely we would have never otherwise seen them!

Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
Yountville
Yountville
Napa Valley, CA
Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

You might consider removing this post and reposting with a less demanding (i.e. rude) subject line. "Sugar v.s. vinegar" etc.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

Was supposed to be playful not rude, lost in internet communication I suppose.

Level Contributor
37,720 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

For some really nice Pinot, go to Gary Farrell in Healdsburg. We did a flight of Pinot for our tasting there. The tasting room is gorgeous and they have a pretty area in the back where you can enjoy your tastings and take in the views. :)

Edited: 20 January 2012, 18:28
Mentioned in this post
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
Vancouver
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

Thanks syragirl, I have added it my list!

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

John Tyler is a small family winery with great Pinot Noir, and is on the same road as Gary Farrell so will be convenient.

In the Alexander Valley, Garden Creek is a very small winery that produces only Chardonnay and a red blend similar to a Cabernet that are quite amazing. It is by appointment only, and tastings are private in the barrel room.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

Great! Thanks for the suggestion we will check them out

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

First, I think you would benefit from reading the results from Havest Fair . You have several varieties of interest and your planned visit isn't that long; you'll waste less time if you see who's tasting well and persue them, IMO.

If you aren't absolutely set on staying in Healdsburg and vicinity, I'd highly recommend going to Sonoma and visiting both Roessler Cellars and Sojourn for Pinots. Try Audelssa in Glen Ellen for Excellent Cabs ( et al).

In the Healdsburg area, DeLormier makes very good cabs as do Dutcher Crossing and Stryker.

Mentioned in this post
Healdsburg
Healdsburg
Sonoma County, CA
Sonoma
Sonoma
Sonoma County, CA
Glen Ellen
Glen Ellen
Sonoma County, CA
Vancouver
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

Other, Thanks for the suggestions, much appriciated!

9. Re: Winery Assistance (Detailed request, not Vague so Read! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:19