We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

Hello!

We are coming to Sonoma County for three nights mid April. I need help deciding where to stay. I am super confused on the various locations and which is best. The three hotels I am looking into are Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn, The Farmhouse Inn in Forestville, and Hotel Healdsburg. Anything else I am overlooking?

We have been to Napa many times and are now coming back to Sonoma because we love Pinot Noir.... It appears the majority of Pinot Noir vineyards are around Forestville and Healdsburg, but they seem to be quite a drive between the two. I like them all for various reasons....

So where should we stay and why? I just want someone to tell me what to do at this point. Ha! I am just overwhelmed. Is it best to pick out the specific vineyards we want to go to and then pick hotel based on which is closest? We also want to be somewhat near restaurants for dinner each evening.

Also, I really love La Crema and would like to visit, but do they only have a tasting room in Healdsburg? No winery visit?

Thanks sooo much! I really appreciate your time!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

At La Crema, the winery is not open to the public except for special events like the two barrel tasting weekends coming up in March.

Forestville is closer to the finer pinot noir vineyards but there are wineries around Healdsburg that produce outstanding pinots also. Many wineries buy their fruit from growers or have vineyards in various parts of Sonoma. In Healdsburg, there are also a number of tasting rooms that feature top quality pinots - tasting rooms like La Crema's.

If you stay at the Forestville Inn, you will have a great restaurant right on the property. At the Sonoma Mission Inn, it's a short drive to the restaurants in Sonoma. And, of course, there are many fine places to dine in Healdsburg. Besides the Hotel Healdsburg, another option is Madrona Manor which also has an outstanding restaurant. Good luck on making a decision!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

I think that staying in the town of Sonoma will be your best access to Pinot country in general. You will be a bit closer to the area you mention as your focus if you stay there. For specific winery suggestions you might want to check out the Harvest Fair results and see where the winners are produced.

There are some very good Pinot -centered tasting rooms in Sonoma; Roessler Cellars and Sojourn come to mind. A number of very good restaurants would be close at hand as well.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

***Is it best to pick out the specific vineyards we want to go to and then pick hotel based on which is closest?***

That's how we plan our trips-

priority one- the wineries we'll be going to

two- accommodations

three-restaurants nearby

Of the hotels you've listed Hotel Healdsburg fits the bill for 2&3

Have fun!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

We love Pinots and also love the Farmhouse Inn not only for the room (large rooms) bath salts, fire pits, but a great breakfast and amazing dinners. It is a tad bit away from the hustle and bustle and we love that as well as all the wineries around that area which we visited. Healdsburg is a short drive away and we went for dinner a few times there because there are some great places to eat there. I have not stayed at that hotel but I have at the Sonoma Mission Inn (or the Fairmont). It is a nice place but closer to the city of Sonoma and the area just surrounding it is just ok

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

Farmhouse would put you the closest to the Russian River Valley, Green Valley and Sonoma Coast appellations where Pinot Noir reigns supreme. Healdsburg would still be convenient as it's only about a 20 min. drive bet. the Forestville area and the town of Healdsburg. But you will undoubtedly receive the most personalized service and attention if you stay at the Farmhouse Inn.

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

We have stayed at The Fairmont Mission Inn 4 times and love this property! The grounds are beautiful, as are the rooms. There is an amazing spa there if that interests you at all. The pools are all wonderful, we especially love the Watsu pool there. It is only about a 5 mintue drive to downtown Sonoma and there is a restaurant at The Inn, also as well as a casual venue, Big 3 Diner which we love for breakfast.

The Hotel Healdsburg is a very contemporary property with gorgeous rooms, ours had a 6' soaking tub which was very nice. There is a nice heated pool there, jacuzzi and a small day spa. You will be able to walk to the tasting rooms on the square and restaurants. Cyrus is just a short walk away, one of the best restaurants in the wine country. There is also Dry Creek Kitchen at The Hotel Healdsburg which is excellent.

Let me know if you have any further questions about either of these properties. We have dined at The Farmhouse Inn but have not stayed there yet. The restaurant is awesome! :)

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

Thanks! Y'all are the best and so very helpful!! I really appreciate it!! We decided on Hotel Healdsburg.

8. Re: Fairmont Sonoma, Farmhouse Inn or Hotel Healdsburg? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 10:22