We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary/Accommodation help please

Westhampton, MA
Level Contributor
40 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary/Accommodation help please

We are coming to CA the first two weeks of April and would like to include a couple of things in our trip. We would like to go to the Armstrong National Park and we would like to spend a night or two on the coast. What is the best coastal location/accommodation recommendations? I really do not want to be on the "river" but ocean-front so that we can walk on the beach. Should we stay 2 nights on the coast and travel back to Armstrong or stay one night in Guerneville and one night at the coast? There are 4 adults traveling and we would like a decent/clean place to stay that is not OVERLY expensive. Thanks in advance for the help.

p.s. We are going to be based in Loomis and spending time in Napa as well.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,559 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation help please

Armstrong Redwoods is part of the state park system. It's not a national park. You probably only need to spend a couple of hours there unless you are really into hiking some of the peripheral trails. So, based on your priorities, you would probably be better off staying both nights on the coast.

In Northern California, it's very rare that you can walk to a beach from your accommodations unless you are camping. There are some lodging options in Jenner and more in Bodega Bay. Timber Cove is another option up the coast from Jenner but it's probably not in your price range.

I don't know why people need to say that they are looking for a "decent/clean place to stay" as if we were going to recommend someplace that was not. Use a search engine and check the lodging options on the Sonoma Coast and see if anything falls within your budget. If not, you may have to find a place inland a ways.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
633 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation help please

I think that the o.p. was trying to convey that they aren't looking for a place with lots of amenities but just a simple, comfortable place to stay, Sono'.

K- you may want to think about going a little further north to Mendocino for the coast experience you're looking for. Bodega Bay is really small and I'm not sure that you would find 2 days' worth of things to do there unless you have golf on the itinerary. I haven't overnighted at either, but just passing through on day trips that's my impression.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,559 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation help please

Bodega Bay is larger than most communities on the coast. There's a good selection of lodging there and several fine restaurants. The scenic Sonoma Coast beaches are just to the north and Armstrong Redwoods is not too far away on the Russian River. The town of Bodega is also nearby and a must visit if one is a fan of the movie "The Birds". If lodging is too expensive on the coast, check out Occidental just a few miles inland.

Amy - I've never played golf at Bodega Bay but have always found plenty to do in the area. We usually camp though.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation help please

Yes, Bodega Bay, I think, is your answer, but lodgings will not be cheap. The most popular is Bodega Bay Lodge, with direct views and a very good restaurant. The next is Inn at the Tides, which is more expensive and whose views look across Hwy 1. Bodega Coast Inn and Suites is next in line, also with views. . This would be the least expensive. I have stayed there several times in the past and enjoyed it. I don't have rates, but did look at some reviews, which are VERY mixed. In any case, wherever, be sure to ask for rooms with a view, if that is what you want.

The AAA Guide lists Bodega Bay Lodge starting at $165, Inn at the Tides at $199 There are several restaurants in town. Across from Inn at the Tides is Lucas Wharf which has a nice one with views.

This is 22 miles south from Guerneville,where Armstrong Grove Redwoods is located. Going north, the first 10 miles beginning just past Bodega Bay has several State Beaches for walking. The water is too cold for swimming and you should watch the waves. Sometimes "rogue" waves com in unexpectedly. My favorite of these beaches is just north of Bodega Bay and is called Salmon Creek. When the tide is out, the creek forms a small lagoon and gets warmed by the sun. I like to wade in it. You would need to make a short drive to get there. The town fronts on the Bay, not the ocean.

After the 10 miles of beaches, you cross the Russian River and turn right on Hwy 116 for 12 miles to Guerneville. if you are coming from that direction.

Mendocino is 87 miles from Jenner, which is 12 miles from Guerneville. It seems like a long drive up and back for a two day trip. Also, it sits on bluffs, so you would not be walking to a beach there, either.

Are you staying in Napa first, or last? If first, where will you be coming from? Let me know your plan and I will give you some driving directions which would allow you to make a sort of circle, rather than a drive from "somewhere to somewhere" and back, with some pleasant scenery.

Sonapaoma mentioned the Timber Cove Inn. That, too, has no beaches as it sits on a high bluff, but is one of my favorite places in the world. It is 13 miles north of Jenner Eight of those miles, high on the cliffs rival the views, etc. of the Big Sur Coast. Not cheap. But take a look. If you should decide on this, I can give you a way to come back to avoid the drives on the cliffs. It isn't cheap, either, but worth it.

http://www.timbercoveinn.com/

Enjoy your planning and let me know if you have questions about anything I have said.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation help please

Just an update, if you want to look at Timber Cove Inn, the website shows no vacancies for several months. This is not true, they are evidently just working on the website, so if it interests you, try later. They definitely have vacancies in April.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 02:08
Level Contributor
35,915 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation help please

While in Napa, don't miss Celadon and Ixbow Market. Have fun! :)

7. Re: Itinerary/Accommodation help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:19