We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon 2 day Sonoma Itinerary and accomodation

Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon 2 day Sonoma Itinerary and accomodation

My fiancé (soon to be wife) are going on a roadtrip along the Oregon coast and into San Francisco for our honeymoon. I will be arriving in Sonoma county on June 9th and leaving on the 11th so I have two days to play with but I don't really know much about the different areas in Sonoma County

The only thing we want to do is visit wineries, relax and have a good time. We briefly visited Napa before but we heard Sonoma is a bit more relaxed. we will have a rental car.

Can you recommend some places to visit and places to stay?

Our budget would be between $100-200 per night for accommodation a good pool or spa would be a bonus.

Thank you for your help, it will mean a lot.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
62 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon 2 day Sonoma Itinerary and accomodation

That price is a bit hard to work with, unfortunately Sonoma in the summer can be a bit pricey. The Best Western Dry Creek Inn in Healdsburg may be a good choice. I just talked to some visitors staying at a B&B in the Asti area of Cloverdale which they really liked, sorry I cant recall the name. That is the very northern end of Sonoma but still convenient to Dry Creek and Alexander Valley. I'm sure some others will be able to recommend sime others in Southern Sonoma.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,951 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon 2 day Sonoma Itinerary and accomodation

Your budget is very low for the wine country. I might suggest you stay in the historic town of Sonoma, which was founded in the early 1800's under Mexican occupation, around an 11-acre Plaza.

The El Dorado Hotel is on the Plaza and has vacancies for your nights at $225. I think you are not going to much better than this. It has a pool and a lovely patio for dining.

http://www.eldoradosonoma.com/#

From the Plaza, which has several excellent restaurants, including the El Dorado Kitchen in the hotel, you can actually walk to wineries, if you are good walkers. Here is an article from Frommer's Budget Travel which describes this activity.

budgettravel.com/feature/…

From Sonoma you are less than an hour's drive from San Francisco.

Happy honeymoon.

Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon 2 day Sonoma Itinerary and accomodation

Thank you AJ41 and Puter for you feedback. I will keep looking. I had not realised how close the beaches were so I might spend an extra night and spend some time at the beach too.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,951 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon 2 day Sonoma Itinerary and accomodation

The nearest "beach town" would be Bodega Bay. No beaches in town, but beginning just north of town and for the next 10 miles there are several State Beaches. My favorite is the first one north, Salmon Creek. Salmon Creek runs into the ocean there, and at low tide when it can't flow, forms a kind of shallow lagoon, good for wading. Because the ocean temperatures are so cold, you won't want to swim in the ocean here, and if you walk the beach or put your toe in the ocean, be watchful, "Rogue" waves often come in and are surprisingly high and powerful. Don't turn your back on the ocean.

You will find restrooms on these beaches, but no concessionaires or other commercial outlets. Just nice beaches. Enjoy.

Lodgings here tend to be pricey because of the location, and if you google and find a less expensive lodging be sure to check on the location. It probably isn't on the beach. Bodega Bay is a reasonable day trip from Sonoma, however.

There was one I used some years ago, but I can't remember the name. Since I am running out of editing time, if I find it, will let you know.

5. Re: Honeymoon 2 day Sonoma Itinerary and accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 09:16