We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

L R
Level Contributor
254 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

We will be in San Francisco for a few days next month and then we plan to rent a car and spend a few days in sonoma.

We thought we would drive up to Bodega Bay and then to the Armstrong Woods and visit a few wineries in the Russian River area before heading down to Sonoma.

We had planned on taking highway 1 up the coast but google maps are sending us up highway 101 and to Petaluma and then over to bodega bay.

I realize this is faster but was wondering if the drive up highway 1 is enjoyable at all or not really worth adding extra time?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

Highway One is far more scenic. Five miles from Muir Beach to Stinson Beach are comparable to Big Sur. It passes Tomales Bay ( San Andreas Fault line ) past Pt Reyes.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,308 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

Well highway 1 does not hug the coast until close to Bodega bay but agree it is a nicer drive

Did you look at the day trips listed under the top questions on the San Francisco forum. There is one which covers this route

L R
Level Contributor
254 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

Thanks--that's what we figured. I will check out the day trip information!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,361 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

Here is that article belo mentioned:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373/San-Fr…

It is more scenic but does take much longer due to all the hairpin turns. Also check weather first before committing to this route. If it looks foggy, may not be worthwhile.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

The five miles high on the cliff between Muir Beach and Stinson Beach do not make it worth it to me to take Hwy 1 all the way. Not far from Stinson Beach it goes inland to pass Point Reyes National Seashore and then skirts Tomales Bay and goes inland again until just before Bodega Bay.

It is only about half an hour to Petaluma, and the drive from there to Bodega Bay is very pretty, through pastoral country. From Tomales Bay to the Bodega Hwy is slower and the scenery is not prettier, IMO, just countryside. On your way between Bodega Bay and the Russian River, on your way to Armstrong Grove you will be on the shore, passing many State beaches.

Here is a link to the day trip mentioned.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373/San-Fr…

Have a good trip.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 19:24
L R
Level Contributor
254 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

appreciate the input--we will see how the day looks and how the weather is!

Oak Park, Michigan
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

After traveling the so called "scenic" route (according to MapQuest) , which did have beautiful rolling hills/countryside, but not as many of the Pacific views I thought there would be, I recommend the fastest route to Bodega Bay and then enjoy the rugged and beach lined coastline north of Bodega Bay on your way up to Armstrong Woods. ( I did the same trip as you are planning and know that you will LOVE it!- my profile picture is from that trip and is somewhere north of Bodega Bay) Enjoy...........

L R
Level Contributor
254 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

That makes sense... May be better to get there and enjoy the destination!!

9. Re: Best route towards bodega bay from San Francisco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:16