We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Route Advice

Grantham, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Driving Route Advice

My family and I (2 adults and 3 boys of 8, 6 & 6) are going to be driving for the first time in France this July. We need to get from Calais to St Hilaire-de-Riez in the Vendee and would welcome suggestions as to the best route to take. We don't mind toll roads but if there are reasonable routes that avoid the worst of them then happy to hear that. We are planning to do it on Sunday 20th July without an overnight stop and will have both a the Land Rover in-built sat-nav as well as a portable Tom Tom as back up. We disembark the ferry at Calais at 12.30pm (French time).

Thanks in advance

Stephen

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Route Advice

Hi Steve. We have driven many times in France both with and without a caravan, so have some experience.

I would not recommend doing it in 1 day if your ferry lands after 12 noon, especially with children. We have found that a later ferry, landing at 6 'sh and getting an IBIS or some such motel for the night is much better.

You will wake in the morning much refreshed and can do the journey, by autoroute, in about 6 1/2 hours without a stop or 2. 3rd week in July, it will be busy, so best stick to autoroutes if you've never done it before.

Just stick to google maps as well, they are great - you can print all stages, including street view, so you can see where you're going. Beware - Rouen had a BIG blaze on it's main bridge in Nov 1012 and is still not done yet.There are diversions but it does complicate things! They advise August re-open !! check youtube for pictures. If your ferry time is set in stone, I would still opt for an overnight stop - around Lisieux would be good, otherwise you will arrive late evening, getting dark, and everyone fractious and hungry and not a good start to the holiday. I live 20 mins from you and can offer a lot of advice.

2. Re: Driving Route Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Vendee
Recent Conversations