We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

Hi,

I am going on holiday with my girlfriend in June 2012 and I am just looking for some answers please to a few questions I have regarding staying in Duquesa.

1) We fly into Gibraltar Airport and I am just wondering is there a bus I can get to take us into Duquesa? I have looked into renting a car but just dont see the point as I wouldnt use it much.

2) Are there many bars in Duquesa? I know there are mainly restaurants but was just wondering if there is anywhere to go to drink, not nightclubs.

3) Is Bahia Waterpark good? Also it says on the website it is closed till the new year, will it be open when we are travelling.

Thanks for all your help!!

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

There is so little to do and see there that I'd STRONGLY recommend hiring a car to get out and visit other places during the day - equally, Gib is cheap for Duty Frees and it will save you a taxi fare to get back there to shop or to catch your return flights. You can get one for as little as £110.00 for a week.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

was hoping to avoid driving to places if I was honest, but it may be something that I need to look into. Especially if I cant get transport from the airport to the apartment for a reasonable price

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

You should consider convenience too. The hire car will get you to Duquesa and back without the hassle of finding buses or paying for taxis PLUS give you the mobility you will eventually desire after a few days just lounging about.

I'd also recommend a day out in Gib too - leaving the car parked in La Linea, walking back across the border and get the local bus into town (about £1.50 return) from the airport to Casemates Square. Then perhaps drive out for a half day in the hills to Casares, and consider some jaunts out to Estepona and perhaps Marbella.

Tip: If you do hire a car on line (where it's cheapest) buy your 'insurance excess' elsewhere online, from an independent source. I was quoted 100 Euros for excess cover - in addition to my car hire. I found the same cover however, for only £7.40 for a week's cover on a different website.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

just looking at websites now to rent a car and have actually found some reasonable prices, but like you say the insurance excess is a tad bit steep. Think I will take your advice and look at purchasing the insurance excess from elsewhere to keep the cost down.

spoke to my other half and she believes renting a car would be a better idea for convience purposes.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

Please make sure you read all the terms and conditions when hiring a car. We hired through auto-europe.co.uk last year and got a good price with AVIS, including FULL/FULL fuel policy and auto-europe have a scheme where they will cover the excess (they refund you if you get charges against the excess for any reason). AVIS worked out only £2 more using them than some of the so called cheaper rental companies.

You could also try carjet.com, holiday autos and if you do a search on here you will find lots of reviews of car hire companies. Some of the reviews are quite scary and there are several companies that people recommend you avoid such as Advantage, Goldcar, Record and others.

But I agree that hiring a car is your best option and you can get to see places further afield. Have to say though that you have to be careful about bringing back duty frees from Gibraltar into Spain as the customs on the Spanish side are very strict and the allowances are different to those from UK into Spain and vice versa.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

Glad to be of help - remember, the hire firms inflate their profits by offering excess insurance cover - for your peace of mind (yeah right) - at rip-off prices.

I took out (independent) excess cover last year, it gave me up to £2,000 of cover and was I glad of it, because I hit a kerb and burst a tyre/buckled the wheel rim. The cover also included lost keys, wrong fuel type etc. which I think is handy.

Anyway, I got charged 180 Euros on my credit card for the prang by the car hire company - which was fair enough because it was my fault - but I got all the money back back from the independent excess insurance company. It was the best £7.40 I ever spent and I want the world to know about it lol.

P.S. Another tip. Pick the hire car in La Linea, the hire firms are just across the frontier about 200m from the crossing point, and it saves you all the hassle of hanging about at Gib airport.

P.P.S. Drive to Morrisons in Gib to get your shopping before driving to Duquesa - get your teabags, fresh milk etc. Be careful about the amount of Duty Free's however, you can only take the old limits i.e. 200 ciggies and 1ltr spirits etc per person, across the frontier.

Happy holidays.

Leeds,United Kingdom
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

Hi,we always fly into Malaga, so a car is a must for us and you will prob need one for the convenience. We have never been to water park so can`t comment on that. Not loads of things to do, but we just like to relax by the pool, then hit the bars at night, seem like plenty of bars to us and you are only a short walk away from Sabinillas

Bourne End, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

Duquesa is really lovely - we have just returned after a few days in Casares - but ended up running (my partner and I run a lot) from Casares to Duquesa every day as we liked it so much (it's only 3.5 miles from Casares). There are lovely places to have coffee or a drink and also to eat. March is a quiet time of year but it still had a nice atmosphere - lots of British people there. You will need a car though - you'll have a great time. I have no idea about the water park though. Sorry!

9. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2012, 04:47
Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Duquesa and other info please!

Thanks for that!!

Looking forward to going we are

Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Duquesa