We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto de La Duquesa downside & upside.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto de La Duquesa downside & upside.

If you want to be hustled and harangued by Senegal, Moroccan and Arab street vendors selling Snyde watches, fake designer handbags and other assorted rubbish then this port is for you. Expect to be disturbed up to five or six times during a meal and have it all repeated by the same people later when having a drink in on of the many bars.

If you don't mind the above then my recommendations are as follows:

Lunch: you won't beat Ocean Cafe. On the ground level overlooking the marina the food here is superb quality and very generous portions reasonably priced. The staff are very welcoming and friendly.

Evening meal: try the Tapas at Hemmingways. Situated on the first level again overlooking the marina. This is not true Spanish tapas but a delicious mixture of different nationalities. Averaging three to four euros per portion, three would probably satisfy most appetites.

Other restaurants worth a try would be The Mexican, The Golden Hong Kong, Ciao and Passage To India.

If you are looking foe a decent steak take a walk out of the port along the seafront to Sabinillas where you will find an Argentinian steak house El Estrebo. The size of the steaks here are not for the feint hearted.

The port is extremely picturesque and has plenty going for it. I just wish they would do something about the street vendors.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto de La Duquesa downside & upside.

We didn't see as many looky looky men in La Duquesa than we did when we were further down the coast past Marbella. In fact, I'm sure we only saw about 3 in the whole afternoon we were there. Unfortunately the street sellers are common along the whole of the coast, its just a case of ignoring them if you don't want to buy anything. I just don't make eye contact.

We had a lovely lunch in Griffins in the port, their spinach and prawn croquettes were delish!

cool4cat
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto de La Duquesa downside & upside.

Well I couldn't disagree more about the street vendors. Not that many around as its quite a small port and obviously the economic climate has suppressed the market rather than encouraged it.

If you don't look at them they leave you alone. Don't tease them.

We've had some great bargins for my teen daughter and the banter I have with them is fun and entertains my kids and the vendors themselves.

Duquesa is a place we're beginning to love and can't stay away from. Mainly because its quieter than other places and still has enough variety of eateries to satisfy most. Sabanillas is great to stroll to and back and now the Castillo side is improving every year.

Don't be a bore and go with the flow

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto de La Duquesa downside & upside.

My friend lives in the port area and we visit every time we are in Cádiz. The looky looky men operate all along the Costa del Sol and La Duquesa is no worse and no better than other places in this respect. To the nice restaurant list I would like to add "Heaven" which is front line on the port, nice tapas again of the international variety.

Saludos. Lindsay

4. Re: Puerto de La Duquesa downside & upside.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Puerto de la Duquesa