We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for day walks?

England
Level Contributor
208 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Best location for day walks?

We are spending 2 nights in Stratford in mid March, prior to driving the Forgotten World Highway, and have a day to spend walking on the flanks of Mt Taranaki, for about 4-5 hrs total. Should we head for the Dawson Falls roadend or the East Egmont roadend?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location for day walks?

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I can't be of too much help as I haven't yet walked in either area. However, your question is still somewhat timely as I have been doing a lot of research into Taranaki walks lately as I plan on doing some of them in a few weeks time.

In my opinion there is no reason why you couldn't do short walks in both areas. I have a toddler so have been specifically looking into short, easy walks and have found a small handful that my family plan to do in both the Dawson Falls and East Egmont areas. I am particularly interested in the intriguing tree formations of the Kamahi Forest (aka Goblin Forest) so plan on doing the 30 minute Loop Track. But because this is so short we'll then head out to Dawson Falls where we'll do another quick walk to see the falls and then perhaps even do the Wilkies Pools short track if the stairs aren't too much for my son.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Also, are you by any chance, going to spend anytime in New Plymouth? If so, I highly recommend a walk around Pukekura Park. It's one of the nicest public parks in NZ.

2. Re: Best location for day walks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Taranaki Region