We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on driving route urgently needed

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
advice on driving route urgently needed

Hi all! I shall be driving from Raurimu to Inglewood in mid December. I am not that keen on seeing the scenic sights; just want to get to Inglewood the easiest way. We'll be driving a rented saloon car late morning. Can anyone please advise me the best way to do this? Wouldn't want to risk car breaking down in the middle of nowhere.....

2 replies to this topic
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on driving route urgently needed

In that case, the Forgotten World Highway is probably not for you - it gets quite remote and has a reputation for danger and is quite a slow drive in parts. My suggestion would be to head through Taumarunui and then carry on up Highway 4 almost to Te Kuiti. The road has some twists and turns, so take it easy but ultimately it is a great way to drive - from memory it is about 70 km to the end of highway 4, and you turn left, towards New Plymouth, down highway 3.. Then just short of New Plymouth, about 5 km, turn left for Inglewood.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on driving route urgently needed

Gee.. thanks for your quick reply, Barry. I was thinking of the same thing. Really appreciate your advice. Thank you

Reply to: advice on driving route urgently needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taranaki Region