We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilderswil cemeteries

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wilderswil cemeteries

Hello

I'm coming to the Interlaken area in September to do some family history research. I know that my relatives were mostly from Wilderswil and Habkern. I'm wondering if anyone knows any details on the surrounding cemeteries - eg. where they are, how many there are, if there's any guide/index to those interred there (eg. does the local church have records?) etc.

Thanks

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilderswil cemeteries

You have the Protestant church Gsteig in Wilderswil (over the bridge on the right side of the river Lutschine), with a cemetery, where people from Interlaken and Wilderswil are (also) buried.(my folks are buried there as well)

Pfarramt Gsteig: Pfarrer Peter Hiltbrand,

Pfarrhaus Gsteig, 3814 Gsteigwiler Tel. 033 822 27 15

E-Mail: hiltbrand@freesurf.ch

Habkern also has a Church.

Kontaktadressen:

Pfr. Claude Hämmerly, Pfarrhaus Tel/Fax: 033 843 11 51

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilderswil cemeteries

Have you discovered the "swiss Roots" website?

swissroots.org/swissroots/…heritage.html

If your relatives lived in a small town, you often kind find information on this website. make sure you have the spelling of the family name correct---sometimes it was changed when they entered the US or Canada.

Good luck in your search---it is fun to finally find a relative or, in our case, the old family home.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilderswil cemeteries

Swiss towns usually have records that go back several centuries. try to write them emails info@habkern.ch gemeindeschreiberei@wilderswil.ch

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,148 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilderswil cemeteries

The custom in Switzerland is to rent cemetary plots for 30 years. The rental can (and often is) be renewed but if the family has died out the bodies are simply dug up and the grave used for someone else. So don't count on finding gravestones. Town records are a much better bet!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilderswil cemeteries

Thanks to everyone.

I didn't know that they removed the bones etc. after 30 years. What do they do with them??

Does anyone know of a contact for Krattigen? There's a family line in particular - the Luginbuehl's that I haven't been able to make any progress on at all.

Thanks

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilderswil cemeteries

http://tel.search.ch/

7. Re: Wilderswil cemeteries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Wilderswil