We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tehri (Kanatal)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Tehri (Kanatal)

We are planning to visit Mussoorie in the end of May for 4 days. However, I have been told by my friend that it would be better to stay in Kanatal for at least one night as it is not possible to cover Dhanaulti, Chamba, Kanatal, Tehri Dam all in one day from Mussoorie. I would like to know whether this is true? Also I need some tips on goods trekking routes / hotels near Tehri / Kanatal.

2 replies to this topic
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tehri (Kanatal)

We attempted to visit Tehri Dam one afternoon and got there post 4pm, when they shut down. Apparently, you have to register with the dam authorities in the morning if you intend to visit that day. Tehri/Chamba is about 13-14 kms before Kanatal (coming from Hrishikesh), and Mussoorie is around 35 kms still further from Kanatal. Dhanaulti is between Mussoorie and Kanatal and requires an entire morning or evening. Kempty Falls in Mussoorie is a good visit and that takes around 3 hours as well. I would say your friend is right. You require two full days to see all the places you mentioned.

We stayed at Club Mahindra in Kanatal which is bang opposite a trekking track leading through Kodia jungle with our appointed guy (fee of Rs 200). The track is good for women too.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tehri (Kanatal)

There are several camps also which are located in Kanatal. Those are also a good option to stay.

For trekking you could contact Adventure Factory or Red Chilli . They arrange a lot treks in Uttaranchal.

Reply to: Tehri (Kanatal)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Tehri
Recent Conversations
More New Tehri Topics