We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

Hey,

as it seems, I'm going to be at Peregian Beach for 5 weeks in September/October, doing some volunteership. As I will have one day off every week, I'd like to see something else of Australia, of course.

As I don't have any ideas about Australia at all and I don't really find helpful information, I'd be thankful about any tipps on where to go and what to do. Especially considering, that most likely I won't have a car.

Cheers in advance.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

with one day a week off u wont have much time to see a lot of australia unless u can fit in some time after your tenure is over. if so lets's know how long and what your interests are. if not, i guess your trips will have to be local. public transport is not bad (buses).

sunshinecoast-australia.com/sunshine-coast-t…

a day trip to brisbane is also a possibility.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

Thank you for your answer and your link.

I'm aware, that only daytrips are possible and that's what I'm looking for for tips.

Is there anything interesting besides Zoos and amusement parks?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

Hi Ankaa, we'll meet again. Great plans. Are you going WA first as planned?

One day trips won't get you far but in any case try to visit Fraser Island. We have done this from Hervey Bay and that's too far from Noosa for a daytrip but afa I know also daytrips from Noosa. Maybe check the Noosa forum for that. Btw, you've picked a nice place for your 5 weeks stay and a great time of year. Can't remember amusement parks at the Sunshine coast but we also weren't looking for them. Don't miss Australia Zoo.

Tet

sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

Head over to the Sunshine Coast Hinterland for some beautiful views and rainforest walks. Mary Cairncrosss Reserve has a lovely walk.

Take a walk or drive around the spectacular Glass House Mountains.

Do try and get to Fraser Island and the Rainbow Beach coloured sand hills. There is a company that does day tours from Noosa, its a long day but definitely recommended if thats all you can spare. Ideally at the very least 2 days would be ideal. Fraser Island is quite a unique treasure of Australia and I know many people who find the experience to be a highlight of their trip to Australia.

Noosa is a beautiful little beach town with fab restaurants and cafes. Spend some time just enjoying the vibe in little Noosa. Its a place I hold very dear in my heart. The Noosa National Park has a fantastic bush walk, where you will see some coastal scenery and probably even spot a koala in the trees if you look hard enough.

There is also a very steep but awesome walk up Mount Coolum. The views are stunning.

These are just starting points to point you in the right direction, but I really do hope that youve allocated some time to see other parts of Australia for longer than a day. It would be a shame to make such a long trip from Germany and not see some more of our beautiful country.

Feel free to ask any other quesions.

Sash

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

A very good contact is to get in touch with the University of the Sunshine Coast as there are at least 250 German overseas students at any one time who will be able to include/advise or become social contacts.

http://www.usc.edu.au/

The bus service is reasonable both to Mooloolaba/University and north to Noosa so no problems moving around.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

I have a funny feeling perhaps Akaa may be spending a lot of time at the Uni anyway ..????

Ankaa - you do realise you are going to have to spend 5 weeks in Paradise ? Honestly, you wont believe your luck when you get there. Sept/Oct is just beautiful too - you will go home every day to water like glass, long walks on the pristine beach, a few beers up at the Peregian Hotel if you're up to it and some great local eateries. Not to mention the fantastic( albiet small) array of cafes, restaurants, bars and beaches in the vicinity.

If it was me and I only had a month of Sundays to really get out and explore I would cover these things ;-)

1. A day on the Noosa River in a hired BBQ boat ( google it but there are several good operators to hire from. No boat license required)

2. A day trip to Fraser Island - will be a long day but well worth it. Get a berth on a 4wd bus over the Noosa river and up Double Island point past The Coloured Sands.

3. Roaming around the Glass house mountains - many posts on this forum but the villages of Maleny and Montville are lovey and Condalilla Falls are a must see.

4. Spend a day or two in Noosa - people watching on Hastings st, walking in the National Park, go out to the Spit. Award winning restaurants if you want to treat yourself....

5. Combine that or seperately exploring Noosa Surrounds - Sunshine Beach, Noosaville, Tewantin. Can do much of it on the Riverlight Ferry and the Noosa Farmers Markets on Sundays are very good for beautiful fresh produce. Eumundi markets on a Wednesday or Saturday morning are mandatory as is the whole village of Eumundi .

6. Head further south and see a bit more of the Sunshine Coast - Coolum, Mooloolaba, Cotton Tree, Caloundra - its all good. Make sure you eat at a Surf club or two ( and even the RSL clubs are great and inexpensive !)

Noosaville...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

I totally agree with the last comment. There is plenty to do here - walks in the national park - beaches - Noosa - sailing - water-ski-ing - or you could learn to surf - What are your interests?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

Thanks for all the answers and tips. I find them very very helpful.

Unfortunately I won't be able to come over earlier or stay longer; so although I'm aware that I'm gonna work in paradise for 5 weeks, I still want to get the best out of it. At least for the region.

I'm not going to WA after all, unfortunately and I'm really sad about that.

I was thinking about learning to surf. Is it difficult? Expensive?

Noosaville...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

If you want a surfing lesson - you MUST ave one or two. It is addictive though.

As for it being easy or difficult I think it depends on your age. Most young people and up to the age of about 35 seem to get the hang of it quite easily.

There are several companies in Noosa which will give you lessons and hire you a board.

In fact other things you should do whilst here is take a day trip to the everglades - that is one of my fabourite trips. I am not sure of your age or interests but other things include parashooting out of a plane and rock climbing. Of course there are also some excellent golf courses nearby. Hastings Street in Noosa is a great place to shop for clothes.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 weeks at Peregian Beach - what to do?

Thanks again for your answer!

I guess I'm gonna try surfing. What does a lesson cost? Should I bring my own Shorty swimsuit (is this the right term?)? Or isn't it that cold?

Thanks for the Everglades tipp as well.

It really is a pitty, that I can't see more of Australia :( If I would stay one week longer, where could I go and what would it cost? (considering that I have to fly back from Brisbane)