We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

Afternoon,

I'll be in the Sunshine Coast (Noosa) for a week in January.

Any activity/desintation that it is definite recommendation? We love fishing, beaches, 4WDing- we are up for anything!

I've checked out the reviews for things to do but they are mainly expensive tours. I'm looking for anything ranging from beautiful secluded beaches, fishing spots. We don't mind driving 1-2 hours up or down the coast to reach places that are highly recommended.

Thanks in advance!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
468 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

Go for a wander in Noosa National Park, it is lovely, there are lots of great interesting spots to explore. Good beaches there too! And while in Noosa, a stickbeak along Hastings St is always worthwhile.

In the Noosa Hinterland, exploring around the Malaeny/Montville area is worh a look, great rainfoest/National Parks and walks along there. And the Eumundi markets is quite fun as well...

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

Must do's

1 Walk the Noosa national park tracks

2 Have a beer at Sunshine Beach surf club

3 Walk up Mt Tinbeewah

4 Everglades tour on the Noosa River

5 Car? days drive taking in towns like Eumundi, Cooroy, Pomona, Mapleton, Montville, Maleny, there are lots of scenic drives, national parks, rainforest etc

So much to do!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

If you like fishing and 4WH driving, go up to Noosa North shore, across the river at Tewantin. There's a bitumen road to the beach, and then a dirt road up to a backpackers further to the north.

Great for surf fishing, and if you have a 4 WHD you can drive up the beach to Double Island point, past the coloured sands and the shipwrecks But check the tides, low tide is best or maybe 2hrs either side.

We've been up there a number of times now, and even saw seaturtles from the point on the walk up to the lookout

Could be a few others up there if you are travelling in January, but still a fantastic trip to do. There are tour operators who go there also.

Enjoy LTB

Edited: 01 July 2011, 10:46
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

Eumundi Markets are great on a Saturday morning and we would consider them a "must do" while you are on the coast. There are plenty of fishing charters from Mooloolaba and Noosa and sometimes they have specials advertised on spreets or scoopon. Walk along the beach between Noosa and Coolum or along the Kawana stretch as that is a very relaxing experience. As LTB says if you have a 4WD or can hire one then driving along the beach at North Shore is fun January is school holidays though and it can get pretty busy up there.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

the north shore / coloured sands will be a must do if you are into this sort of adventure.

think about a trip to Kennelworth and circle around the Obi Obi Valley to come out on the Blackhall Range and continue to maleny and come back thru Caloundra and Mooloolaba/Maroochydore.....then up the coastal route to Sunshine Beach.

Maiden Gully...
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

I missed going to the Eumundi Markets when I was there about 12 months ago. They are on Wednesdays and Saturdays. If you are looking for shopping I would go to the Currimundi Shopping Centre to look around and then visit Sushi Train. I don't like touristy areas and where I stayed last year was really nice, quiet and central to everything provided you have a car. I hope you like the early morning heat. Coming from Sydney, I found this a bit hard to bear at 7.30am.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

Hi,

My favourites are -

Noosa National Park

Eumundi Markets & Hinderlands.

Dinner at Berardo's Restaurant / Rickys River Bar + Restaurant / Wasabi Restaurant & Bistro C for brekky.

Afternoon drinks at Noosa Surf Club.

8. Re: Any 'must do' ideas in and around Sunshine Coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2013, 10:22