We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Hi Guys,

My partner & I are non-surfers, hence we're now checking which beach along Sunshine Coast is nicest and best for swimming, as we need to decide for a base to stay. From most articles I read, I understand that we're allowed to swim between the flags (even at the surfer beaches), but is there any beach stretch that is fantastic for swimming only?

Any thoughts from your experiences please? Close to shops/supermarkets are a definite plus!

Thanks much as usual!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Noosa, and close to Hastings Street shops

You can watch the webcam on the site below, but as I post this, it's raining

visitnoosa.com.au/index.cfm/today/InNoosa/

There's plenty of places to stay around this area, including near the Noosa River in Noosaville.

Enjoy LTB

Edited: 09 December 2011, 21:20
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,345 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Hi tygerlilly,

As LTB said, Noosa Beach is a good option. Another option I personally like is Kings Beach at Caloundra. Caloundra has a great choice of accommodation and a price range that suites all budgets.

The northern end of Kings Beach is designated swimming, and the southern for surfing.

queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/sunsh…

coastalwatch.com/camera/cameras_large.aspx…

www.holidaycaloundra.com.au/…

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 09 December 2011, 22:53
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Unless you are strong swimmers, you should really swim between the flags as all beaches can have rips. I think Noosa and Mooloolaba are good safe beaches for swimming.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Southern end of Mooloolaba is protected by a breakwater so the water is very calm.

Oscar

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Hi I'd say caloundra - you get the nice surf beach at Kings beach and the calm water that pulls you along with the current (good fun!) at the other end :) plus shops and weekend markets

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Noosa! Such a lovely area, too. Mooloolaba would be my second choice. You may still get surf at both locations, depending on the time of year and so forth.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Fantastic suggestions, thanks a bunch, guys! By the way we plan to be there early Feb 2012... i know it's not the best season, hopefully we'll get few days of less rain...

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

was in Noosa in the weekend and even I was amazed how good the beach looked....but a big crowd

beach at mooloolaba was a treat this morning with good areas to swim and the ability to not be in the ruck.

two options both good

a60
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
464 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Noosa and Mooloolaba are great for swimming and cater for tourists with lots of cafes, shops etc. They are very lively areas to stay in. If you prefer a quiter location then Kings Beach would be ideal. It is within walking distance of cafes, shops etc. but with a much more leisurely, "country" feel about the place. Definitely only swim between the flags.

Have a fantastic holiday.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,172 posts
1,428 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach for swimming at Sunshine Coast?

Another vote for Noosa - its a lovely safe beach with some excellent restaurants too.