We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights on the sunshine coast

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights on the sunshine coast

I am sending my parents who are in their late fifties to the sunshine coast for 7days/6 nights in June (Just scored a $1 Tiger fare). I was looking for some feedback on my first draft of an itinerary for them. They are pretty fit and adventurous, but are not going to do anything too physically demanding (kayaking, surfing). They would also prefer not to rent a car and will be happy to use the bus system.

First 3 nights:

Take the bus from the airport to Mooloolaba and check into a hotel on the beach.

Take a boat cruise at least one night.

Take the bus to Australia Zoo on one of the days. I know this is pricy ($59/adult). Is there a good way to get discounts for entry?

2nd 3 nights:

Take the Sunbus up to Noosa and stay at a hotel there.

Devote at least one day to a Fraser Island tour.

I have been to Noosa and Coolum before on business, but have not seen much of the rest of the Sunshine coast. I am wondering if Mooloolaba is worth 3 nights. Is there somewhere better to stay or should they just devote the whole trip to Noosa?

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights on the sunshine coast

Mooloolaba and caloundra are both lovely spots to stay. Noosa is nice but over crowded and has lost most of its original charm. The bus service on the coast is not very efficient. I would encourage them to rent a car so they can visit Montville, caloundra, peregian beach and some of the surrounding beaches. The Sunshine Coast is a lovely region with loads of charming beachside and rural precincts that are best accessed by car.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights on the sunshine coast

I agree with Cheryl that Noosa no longer has the attraction.

Montville is a lovely spot with great views, plenty to see and good restaurants.

Maloolaba is a good place to stay with wonderful views, plesant walk alongside thebeach and good restaurants nearby. There are plenty of trips out from there and things to do like Underwater World. They could take a short bus ride up to Buderim where there's nice cafes, a museum (Poineer Cottage) an easy rainforest walk with a good restaurant at the end called Harrys http://harrysonbuderim.com/. Some lovely drives if they do hire a car and you can get trips to Fraser Island from there.

If you really want to include something else why not a night or two inland. There are some lovely places to stay around Monteville and you could make that the second spot. Type "montville accommodation romantic" and there are some wonderful places. I've been a couple of times to Tree Houses of Monteville where you sit in your room and watch the birds fly and a rainforest walk is on the doorstep but we had a look around some of the others. They really can be something special. These are nearby http://www.montvillegetaways.com.au/

Edited: 27 December 2013, 19:17
Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights on the sunshine coast

First thoughts....... Mooloolaba is pretty ordinary if you are not into beaches..... but there again I live here and avoid the place after 8.30 am. We locals go to alternative areas that are not to much the same as every other Queensland Ocean front venue with the same shopping type stores......sort of semi-plastic venues.

Montville tops the list as a plastic creation I am afraid to say.

So if your parents are of the ilk that they want to be in the centre of just beach....sun.....not world class restaurants... Some very good coffee and to meander amid other tourists ........then Mooloolaba is OK.

However behind all this are the gems....... Maleny on a busy arvo.....Noosa Everglades the ride down thru the Valley to Eumundi... Maybe a trip to Frazer Island or the beach trip to Double Island Point.

Noosa is still a good place to visit and a good chew in Thomas street is possible.....walk to to A Bay..... Meander the trendoidal main drag....drinkies at a bar or coffee at Sunshine Beach is still fun.

A car I would recommend.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights on the sunshine coast

I wouldn't split the trip up between locations. You can do day trips from anywhere on the Sunshine Coast. Noosa or Mooloolaba are both good choices and there are plenty of places if you want to escape the main tourist areas and all the Melburnians :)

5. Re: 6 nights on the sunshine coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:17