We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Mountains Bushwalk - solo?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Mountains Bushwalk - solo?

I'll be traveling to Sydney for the first time, and staying a few nights at the Blue Mountains next week. I would love to do some bush walking to take in the amazing sights. I'm moderately fit but an absolute beginner at bush walking, so it's probably not a good idea to attempt the trails alone.

Other than booking myself on a guided bush walking tour, would it be a good idea to visit one of the National Park Visitor Centres and perhaps "gate crash"/ trail behind other groups who come along, just so I'm not totally alone?

What would be ideal for a new, solo bush walker in the area? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited: 16 September 2012, 15:30
6 replies to this topic
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Mountains Bushwalk - solo?

To see the best of the sights, the well marked tracks, and various vantage points would suffice. No chance you will be alone.

To go INTO the bush following a group would at best be foolish. They might plan walking twice as far as you, and when you turn to go back out, you no longer have a guide. LOST is something we don't want you to become

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Mountains Bushwalk - solo?

Have a look at www.wildwalks.com.au

Any of the easy walks from Echo Point or Leura will have lots of people on them

and as long as you stay on the well marked tracks you will be fine. Wear decent shoes, take water and protect yourself from the sun and the worst that will happen is an insect bite. Make sure you have finished well before sunset. Don't do any of the trails rated as 'hard' especially during the week if you are inexperienced and alone. There will be fewer people around and the trails aren't always clearly marked to a beginner.

If you are resonably fit you would enjoy the walk from Echo Point down the Giants Staircase and along the valley floor to the bast of the Scenic Railway. From there you can get back to the ridge line via the railway or climb the Furber Steps which IMO gives some spectacular viewpoints, especially of the waterfalls.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Mountains Bushwalk - solo?

No, do not tag on behind anyone Dev has already mentioned the hazards.

You may also find the group is not particularly impressed with a stalker.

If you do the walks at the base of Scenic World and the Leura Katoomba Walks they are well signposted and well travelled. You certainly will see other groups in both directions.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,652 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Mountains Bushwalk - solo?

Just to be on the safe side, do tell the people at your hotel where you are going and when (roughly) you plan to be back. and carry your mobile phone, if you do get lost (and you shouldn't if you follow the advice above) you can call - remember australia's emergency number is 000.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Mountains Bushwalk - solo?

Echo Point / Giant Staircase walk is really good and the train at the other end is a good relief rather than having to go back up stairs. I've done this many times and my legs always feel like jelly afterwards. Take a nice snack to have near at the creek bed and take your shoes off to dip in the water.

Lou

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Mountains Bushwalk - solo?

Thank you everyone for your inputs and advice. I did exactly as suggested and went on the bush walk alone down the Giant Stairway (in bright daylight), but stayed on the well-marked tracks. I did meet several other bush walkers on my way, so it didn't feel all that lonely after all, though some parts deeper into the walk, it did get a little quiet. It took me about 90 mins or so to get to the end of the trail and at the Scenic Railway station, which I took back up to the top. It was a wonderful experience - the weather was perfect and views were breath-taking :) Throughly enjoyed my vacation there. Blue Mountain / Leura is such a beautiful and peaceful place. I even booked myself on a day-tour the following day, and got to explore the Jenolan Caves, another wonderful experience to be able to see those amazing limestone formations, stalactites and stalagmites in there.

Edited: 02 October 2012, 15:02
Reply to: Blue Mountains Bushwalk - solo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blue Mountains...