We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tracking in Bulgaria in October

Which Rila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tracking in Bulgaria in October

We intend to arrive on October the 20th. Would there be open huts in the mountains? Is tracking possible in this period? Are there options also in the south ? Would weather conditions there be better? any advice ? I am not young but love nature

THANKS

Shuli

Sofia, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Sofia
Level Contributor
301 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tracking in Bulgaria in October

Hi,

Which mountains and which huts in particular?

Basically, in October weather could still be good enough even for Rila and Pirin, but considering it'll be already autumn, it'll be colder and rainier, and the weather might quickly change. Since you've already planned coming here, you can follow the forecast in the last days prior to your coming here.

If the high mountains such as Rila and Pirin, or even perhaps Stara planina (Balkan mountain) don't offer the best weather conditions, a good alternative are the Rhodopes. They're lower, don't offer as many open-air views as Rila and Pirin because they're mostly covered with woods, but there are areas where you can still have a good trek and yet have some good views. If you choose the Rhodopes alternative, you can check the Pamporovo ski resort area. The Snezhanka peak where the ski pistes start offers some good views of the area - including by going up the TV tower there. There are many tourist routes in the area as well as lakes, villages, places to see such as the Devil's Throat cave, the Wonder Bridges natural rock formations, also small nice towns with old houses such as Shiroka Laka.

Another option for trekking is Vitosha mountain. Weather could possibly be as bad as in Rila, but the mountain is lower than Rila and is next to Sofia, which means there are loads of tourist paths all along, and most of the huts are working.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: tracking in Bulgaria in October

Thank you so much for this, very helpful. I will look into this information, and might get back to you with more questions in few weeks/

I was hesitant about going, now I decided to go.

Thank you again

Shuli

Sunny Beach...
Level Contributor
935 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tracking in Bulgaria in October

I would also suggest you check out for self-guided options in the Rhodopes (fex http://www.bulgariawalking.com/p118-Rhodope_Mountains). The highest mountains (Rila and Pirin) I would only advise you explore with a guide as the weather conditions may go worse in just a few minutes and the area, although very scenic in clear skies, may become rather dangerous for people, who are not familiar with the walking trails. But autumn is indeed an enjoyable period!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: tracking in Bulgaria in October

Thank you so much' I ll be looking in that website and will be getting back to you/

shuli_11

5. Re: tracking in Bulgaria in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2016, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Rila