We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

Hi

We are due to go back from Lembongan to Sanur with Rocky Fast Boat on 14th at 9am, but I have checked the weather and winds will be high (20km per hour) and seas 2.3 meters.

Can someone tell me if this is a fairly normal weather pattern for a crossing? Will there be waves crashing into the boat?

I am a little bit worried as we have an 11month old baby with us. We do have a baby life jacket with us, but it does still make me a little uncomfortable. The crossing over was not windy but seas were 2 meters so it was a little bit rocky snd definitely made me nervous!!

Any opinions on how safe this trip is given the circumstances?

Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

Remember the number 15 when making seagoing decisions.

If the wind is stronger than 15 knots, don't go, if the swell is bigger than 1.5 meters, don't go and if the seas are bigger than 1.5 meters, don't go.

The difference between seas and swell. Seas are the random choppy waves that are caused by wind. They pop up without warning and disappear quickly making boating unpleasant and cause sea sickness. Swell are the waves that surfers ride. They are usually in sets and are evenly spaced.

From an old seadog, hope that helps.

Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

20 kph winds = 10.8 knots.

Sounds like similar conditions as your trip to the island.

Bofman, would you consider those conditions dangerous as it sounds normal to me.

Cheers,

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

It depends upon the vessel. I wouldn't be happy in a small boat but 25+ foot boat no worries.

Nusa Lembongan...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

14th is full moon day, amplifying tidal effects, creating bigger waves than usual.

Now the good news :

- Looking at Magicseaweed, (forecasts used by most of the water sports companies on the island & in Bali in general, considered as the most accurate ones by many), I only see an average of 11 kph of wind which is considered gentle and does not affect waves so much ;

- Low tide is at 8AM, leaving you at slack tide (= less water movement) @ 9AM

Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

Good info guys. Rocky's boat is about 40 foot. Gentle / moderate breeze forecast with a slack tide should put barnshel's mind at ease.

Candidasa, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

I hope your trip went ok, and that you did it in either the early part of the morning, or VERY late in the afternoon.

Yesterday, we had one of the worst storms blow through Candidasa. Being lucky enough to have a place on the water (we live in the upstairs section of the villa) where we can look across to Nusa Penida and Lembongan etc. We could look out and see it coming ... and come it did, the waves were just turning white, the wind blew VERY hard, the rain was coming straight at you, and across the water was just a whiteout. I asked the gods here in Bali to protect all the boats that were stuck out in it - it would have been absolutely terrifying to be out in what we saw ... and boats were stuck out in it ... about 30 min after it cleared, we saw the fast boats heading back towards Padang Bai - there would have been people kissing the ground as soon as they got off for sure. Today I have not heard any bad stories, so the Bali gods must have looked after them. Bad bad bad weather yesterday (14th Feb) - ok today (15th). I hope you got across without any drama.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 07:10
Candidasa, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

p.s. Magicseaweed - must be on magicmushrooms !

If they said "an average of 11 kph of wind", they just didn't see this one coming at all.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

The size of the swell doesn't matter as the Bali Strait is very deep and so the swell will not form breaking waves. It's the strong winds which form short period breaking waves which can upset boats, however a 20 kph wind is not uncommon so I wouldn't be to concerned.

Candidasa, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

The wind during that storm that ripped across from Nusa Lembongan (located in the Lombok Straight) yesterday (14th Feb) was, at a guess, blowing at around 80km/hr - white cap seas as far as we could see - rain coming in so hard and fast maybe 10 to 15 deg down from coming straight at you. The Lombok straight - the water between Bali and Lombok is one of the main through flow of water from the Pacific and Indian Oceans, making it a dangerous piece of water for small boats, and can become a “washing machine” of water – I know, I have been in it when it has been like that – worst boating experiences of my life (click on my name and look for incident report from 12th October). There are some boat companies & boat owners in both Bali and Lombok are continually putting lives at risk by making these crossings without having any good sound weather information available before they head off (apart from just looking at what they can see, and licking a finger and sticking it in the air).

Edited: 15 February 2014, 08:42
Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about crossing - 2m swell and 20km/hr wind

Well I sincerely hope that the OP got across safely on the 14th - nasty sounding storm.

Get answers to your questions about Nusa Lembongan