We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Kent
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire

I've booked through auto Europe and have been given a car through Interrent. Anyone heard of them? X

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

For up to 5 day rental, no problem, return the car with the same amount of fuel as you started.

BE WARY If you hire a car from Interrent for 6 days or more.

You will receive the car with a full tank of fuel and be informed that it should be returned empty.

This is ok if you are going to do a lot of driving but I had over half a tank when I returned the car.

I was charged €78 for the full tank and no refund for the fuel not used.

A reasonably priced rental turned into a very expensive one!

Edited: 22 January 2012, 21:08
Kent
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

Yes I know! Funnily enough, I've just posted similar comment to yours. Although I didn't know the thing about 6 days or more. We were staying at Vale do Lobo which is only a 15 minute drive from Faro airport, so there was no way we would use a full tank of diesel. I really think the car brokers should let us know this info before we book, so we know what we're paying.

Huntingdon, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

I fully support both replies to this thread. Whilst the car was absolutely fine, we were unaware of the "collect full, return empty" fuel policy and as our rental was 6 days, we paid 95 Euros for the full tank. Like another respondent, our destination was not far from Faro (Olhos D'agua) and we used around 10 litres of a 70 litre tank of fuel. I enquired about a partial refund but was forcefully informed that there was no possibility.

In addition, I was subjected to high pressure selling of the "CDW Excess Waiver Insurance" at 11 Euros a day and since the excess was 1,000 Euros, and their rep pointed out that even minor scratches and kerbed wheels are subject to the excess, I paid an extra 66 Euros for that also. My rental worked out at 48 Euros for each of the 6 days; a trip when we covered a total of 110 miles.

Moral of the story - don't use a car broker!

4. Re: Car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Vale do Lobo
Recent Conversations