We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forest of Dean in February

new york
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Forest of Dean in February

Hi,

My wife's sister is visiting us from the USA in February and we are planning a weekend away (we live in London) when she arrives. We are going to stay in Bath one night and thought we would try and visit somewhere nice in the countryside for one day. Appreciate that February will be a crapshoot for weather but is there much to do/see in the Forest of Dean at that time of year? Will there be much wildlife around?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forest of Dean in February

Not the best time to visit this area I would suggest. There is plenty to see in Bath for a whole weekend. Perhaps a drive through some Cotswold villages might be possible.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,813 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forest of Dean in February

There is not a lot of wildlife around in the countryside even if February is sunny. Like us they tend to keep a low profile and keep warm. The birds do start to sing at dawn.

You could see if something comes up here http://www.soglos.com/forest-of-dean-events or email the tourist information centre for advice.

If you like birding there is a site http://anserbirding.co.uk/blog/?p=1967

But I would agree with WalkingWith and enjoy Bath, there is so much to see, and look at some of the surrounding countryside and villages. Try posting on the Bath forum. they have some good info there.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forest of Dean in February

I would agree that February is far from the best time to visit the Forest of Dean.

But if you like birds, you could consider a vist to Slimbridge

http://www.wwt.org.uk/visit-us/slimbridge/

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forest of Dean in February

Well if it's a nice crisp day then a walk in the Forest would be great! as to wildlife, the deer will still be around (though elusive) and some birdlife, although nothing like in springtime. You could call in at Chepstow castle, up to Tintern Abbey for a walk by the Wye, have a fabulous lunch in the Michelin-starred Crown at Whitebrook, take one of the many footpaths through the Forest, or follow the Offas Dyke path, call in at the Speech House on your way back etc.

If it's a really horrible day then you could consider a day wandering around Bristol, or head further into Wales for a trip down a coal mine at the Big Pit mining museum, or visit the Museum of Welsh Life at St.Fagans to wander around the many historic buildings re-assembled in the park.

If you want somewhere different on the way back to London, consider a visit to Avebury, then call in at Marlborough.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forest of Dean in February

Forest Of Dean, I would suggest that a visit to the Forest Of Dean in February would be fantastic! The Forests with thick woodlands around you the wildlife in its full, Wild Boar, Deer, Sheep, Birds and the odd local walking his dog...

Depending where in the Forest of Dean you are staying, really depends on what is local to you whilst you stay. Parkend is a wonderful place to stay with many B&B or camping sites very close by, there is a very long (or short) cycle path so if cycling is your thing then Don't forget your bikes! You have endless chances to walk through the woods or visit the Rspb sanctury that is in Parkend where you can take a look at the Birds etc... There is so much to see and do all year round and if we are lucky enough to see snow or get a hard frost, then there really is no better place to stay than the Forest Of Dean

Forest of Dean
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Forest of Dean in February

The forest is stunning at the minute and by February the buds might have started to appear and the ferns to regrow - and there are tiny lambs roaming already!

You can check out the local interest photos on my own web site as many of them have been taken over the winter.

Not sure if I am allowed to post a link but I'm sure someone will remove it if not!

www.oneeyeshut.co.uk/local-interest

7. Re: Forest of Dean in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 20:15