We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches near cairns

canberra
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
beaches near cairns

hello all, I am seeking advice from visitors to far north queensland beaches near cairns, in particular holloways beach, palm cove, trinity beach, clifton beach, and any other beaches around there. I will be travelling with two children (8 & 11), so we are not looking for glitz or glamour or smart restaurants, just nice beaches. It will be winter when we travel so stingers are not an issue.

From what I can see on the net, it is quite expensive to stay anywhere absolute beachfront at trinity or palm cove, but cheaper at clifton beach and holloways beach. Are these beaches still nice? what do others recommend?

thanks

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches near cairns

I spent winter in that area this year and of the main Northern beaches you have listed, I prefer Trinity as both a beach and location.

My favourite in that part of the world is Four mile beach at Port Douglas, followed by those between the Daintree & Cape Trib, mossies aside...

Perhaps also consider the various beaches and bays around Mission Beach, south of Cairns.

canberra
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches near cairns

hello, thank you for replying to my inquiry about cairns beaches. Can you elaborate on what was good about trinity and/or what the other beaches are like? Do they have shade at the back of the beach? are some too narrow and get over-run with sea? or are the beaches themselves similar but trinity just has more cafes and the like nearby?

thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches near cairns

If you want absolute ocean front on a beautiful beach try Ellis Beach bungalows, they're not too expensive and can accommodate a family. You need to keep in mind however they are about 30 minutes north of Cairns, so very close to shops, restaurants etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches near cairns

oops!! I meant not very close to amenities.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches near cairns

This might help, see www.qldbeaches.com which gives good description of Cairns northern beaches.

My preference is Trinity, a crescent shaped beach with protective headlands at each end, less expensive accommodation is back from beachfront but still walking distance to beach.

Also like suggestion of the beachfront bungalows at Ellis Beach, my kids used to love it there when they were about the age of yours. You will need a car though, public bus from Cairns stops at Palm Cove, Ellis is beyond.

6. Re: beaches near cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 05:17