We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes etc

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
32 reviews
Mosquitoes etc

Hi,

We'll be coming to Cairns in September and will also be visiting Cape Trib, Mossman, Green Island etc and a few days at Thala Beach and we are just wondering if mosquitoes will be a problem? I hadn't thought of it until my friend asked if I'd bought some insect spray. I don't tend to get bitten at all on holiday and I'm reluctant to spray myself in repellant as I'm allergic to many products but if necessary I'll get a natural one and give it a go.

Any advice?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitoes etc

Mosquitos numbers increase lots after rain. You may be lucky and it will be a dry time for you. They also love mangroves at any time and of course dawn/dusk are prime times if they are around. Cover up or spray is best option.

"I don't tend to get bitten at all on holiday" ..... I love your optimism!

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitoes etc

Whiteman - some people tend not to get bitten. I was so envious of my husband who never seemed to get bitten by anything -Whereas I copped the lot!

Titree/Bushmans repellant is a good natural? usually wipe on deterrent. Wait until you arrive and ask at the chemist/pharmacy shop .

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Mosquitoes etc

Hi-we are heading up that way at the same time and I have wondered about that too. I have been told that eating lots of Vegemite before you go tends to deter the little blighters as something in it comes out through the pores in your skin that they don't like!! My hubby never gets bitten and he eats loads of Vegemite so there may be something in it. Last year we were on a yacht at Fraser Island and around the Great Sandy straits and at dusk the tiniest little "no-see-ums" ate us alive and the itching was unbearable. I wasn't a Vegemite lover but am now consuming it every day in preparation!! Good luck!

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Mosquitoes etc

Anywhere near water (beach, island, river) you will find more of them ("Them" being mosquitoes and sand flys). I seem to be a magnet, so I always spray with insect repellant. If you have sentisitve skin, then a good idea to bring some with you.

Kiwisailor.... hahahah about the vegemite. its the Vitamin B that tends to ward off the mozzies. However, you are gonna need to eat LOTS.......better to take Vit B supplement instead. Or just spray and cover when you are here.

One positive - no dengue or malaria.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Mosquitoes etc

Pleased to hear that thanks Daintree Jungl...!!

6. Re: Mosquitoes etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 05:18