We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone could please kindly recommend some good books on the Great Barrier Reef and also of Queensland's rainforests? We have saved for years for a surprise trip (surprise for our two boys) and for ourselves to visit Queensland as we have always wanted to do this, and our two wild-life and science-loving boys (will be aged 15 and 13) have been wanting to visit the Great Barrier Reef and the ancient rainforests for some time. It will be one heck of a huge surprise for them! We've done little caravan holidays in the UK so this will be BIG!

We all have an interest in nature, science, biology and overall ecology, and are after some decent books please, covering wildlife and the ecosystems of the Reef and the Rainforests, meant for adult reading but with plenty of pictures for identification of species. Something understandable to us novices who do not have a degree in the natural sciences, but in-depth enough for us to gain a real insight into the wildlife please. My eldest is VERY bright and already rather knowledgable and is already a walking encyclopedia, and has a good degree of natural history and science understanding through his own fascination of the subjects. (not boasting, just trying to give the impression of the sort of level the books should be aimed at).

And for myself and my younger son - anything on invertebrates, especially macology (but again easy enough to understand) specific to the Queensland area would be fab, in addition to the other books.

Simple ID books would also be much appreciated in addition to the more in-depth material.

Many many thanks to anyone who can give any recommendations.

Kind regards - Ness

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

The official websites are a good start and may provide links for publications.

http://www.wettropics.gov.au/

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

Thank you very much for your kind and quick reply (sorry that my reply to you wasn't so quick!) Things have gone a bit hectic.

Anyway thanks very much once again.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

New Holland Publishers may be able to help you. They published a series called the 'Green Guide' to .... Spiders,Parrots, Mammals,Birds, snakes & other reptiles, frogs, sharks & rays. These booklets are not confined to Queensland but refer to the whole of Australia

The spider booklet has a library number - ISBN I 86436 332 0

24 Nutford Place, London, UK.

2 books available from the Australian Plants Society e-mail apsvicbooks@gmail.com for price and mailing costs.

Plants of Cape York

Plants of Tropical North Queensland.

Ask if there other books available for the Queensland area you are interested in.

Contact - Australian Plants Society/Queensland - Google for that.

Australian Gemstones by Lloyd O'Neil ISBN 0 908505 11 6

Austsralian Geographic may be able to give you a book list www.australiangeographic.com.au

University of Queensland also.

Google for each particular science and specify Queensland, Australia.

Ask at your local library if they have anything or can obtain from other libraries.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

Hi Ness

i'd start with Bill Bryson's book "Down Under" for a very brief overview. He writes with great humour and visits North Queensland. The book also has a great general overview of Australia and its ecology.

I've also found the Further Reading sections on Wikipedia provide some great information:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Barrier_Reef

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

Wow! Thank you GardenBoffin and GK.

I will check out those sources. Thanks very much indeed.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

Society for growing Australian plants - Queensland www.sgapqld.org.au They often have a day out at various gardens or do field days examining specific plants.

Ask them about the Field Naturalist clubs in Queensland if the timing is right with your visit you may be able to join in with the Field Nats for a days' outing or perhaps more days. Nothing like a frienddly hands on approach and generally they like to share their knowledge.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

Brilliant. Thank you once again GardenBoffin.

You are all very helpful and this is much appreciated. Many thanks x

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

101 Animals of the Wet tropics, a field guide (though the trick is knowing how to find them to start with)

Also 101 Plants.

Seems the authors do the national park interpretative centre posters so should be good quality information.

www.wildtropics.com.au

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

Great. Thank you very much Verdant. Nuch appreciated, sounds like they'll be useful, will have a look later on.

Thank you to everyone.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildlife books GB Reef & Rainforests -recommendations please

Hi Ness,

A couple of great publications I use here myself and for guests at Wallaby Ridge to use in reference to Rainforests (Lamington National Park in particular) are:

A Guide to Lamington National Park by Lesley Hutley 2006 Envirobook a division of Trekaway PL.

Designed for the visitor, its a comprehensive guide with colour plates throughout of maps, history, birds, animal, reptiles and insects, plants including fungi. Its a great book which I refer to quite frequently.

A good one for birds if you are identifying is Simpson and Day Field Guide to the Birds of Australia, full of colour pics, descriptions, habitats, nesting habits and also covers birds species that migrate as well to Australia.

I also use Wildlife of Greater Brisbane (a Qld Museum publication) which is a great general and relevant guide to all creatures (insects as well!) in SE Qld.

For Plants, I use Mountains to Mangroves by Glenn Leiper, Jan Glazebrook, Denis Cox and Kerry Rathie, an amazingly comprehensive plant guide for SE Qld. We have quite a unique range here that I wanted to identify and was recommended this book by the local Land for Wildlife officer.

If you want any more info, let me know.

Cheers

Robyn