We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport to Palm Cove

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,858 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
airport to Palm Cove

I know that bus 110 goes from Cairns to Palm Cove, but from all the "googling" I've done, I can not see ANY bus that goes to the airport. Correct me if I'm wrong please... the only way from the airport to Palm Cove is in a taxi, an airport transfer ($18.00 each way), or a private transfer that is offered from the place we are staying in January, (22.50 each way for each person). Can anyone confirm that there is no Sun bus that goes to the airport, and any guesses how much a taxi from the airport to Palm Cove would cost. There are three of us travelling, so even if the taxi was $50.00, it would be easier than using the airport transfer and FASTER! Thank you!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport to Palm Cove

Hi J0an123,

Haven't used them, but have a look at this site.

www.coralseacoaches.com/services.php…

Safe travels - Robert

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport to Palm Cove

Hi

I'm sure there are no Sun buses to the airport from any where up here we are always complaining about the lack or public transport.Also not sure on the cost of taxis it could be more than $50

regards mosiewigs

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport to Palm Cove

The taxi will cost around $65 from Palm Cove to Cairns airport by Black and White taxis Cairns.

Sure you have a great holiday.

LTB

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,858 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airport to Palm Cove

Thanks for the link Robert... much cheaper when you buy the return with three people involved. And I would be able to book it when I get to Sydney. The 65.00 for a taxi is certainly more convenient (don't have to stop at a bunch of other places on the way up), but please tell me... are people tipping taxi drivers in Australia now? It was '83 the last time I was downunder! I was NOT taking taxis with my budget! Thanks again, Joan

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,858 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport to Palm Cove

Robert!!!! Was just looking at the Vancouver Island forum and see you are heading our way! Congratulations! I am happy it is all falling into place for you! Take care, Joan

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airport to Palm Cove

Hi Joan,

We are very much looking forward to VI, and your assistance with recommendations, I have already looked at them and we are pleased that we have 4 weeks there. But we really appreciate your effort with BC Ferrry's, above and beyond as they say. And remember if you hear an Australian voice in your area coming from a large bloke say hello.

Taxi's are much more convenient, as you rightlly say, and some times we tip, but not usually. We only tip in restaurants if the food and service are exceptional,. The most common way, if paying by credit, there's the space at the bottom of the docket that ask if you want to tip.

If you haven't been to Palm Cove you'll love it. Nearly every time I go it's usually for a conference in Cairns, we then extend our stay and head for a Palm Cove stay. How long are you staying, and have you any tours planned, let us know we may be able to help.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 21 October 2011, 19:28
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,858 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airport to Palm Cove

I never made it to Cairns in either of my previous trips. Both times, I never got further north than Proserpine. So this time, I am not taking any chances. We land in Sydney on January 5th, and head to Cairns on the 10th. I am hoping we will be over the jet lag by then! I was looking at stopping off in Fiji on the way over to adjust to the "next day", but it would mean flying through LAX and I nixed that idea right away. Now we are on a 15 hour direct flight. Not sure which will be worse! Anyway, I know it will be the wet season and I am reluctant to prebook anything. We have a week there, and the big 3 on my list are the Kuranda trip, the GBR, and up to Daintree and area. I've been following along on the forums there and I actually printed some maps that "Sunbird" supplied a link to for another person. (She is GREAT for advice!) And my friend from Sydney has never been to Cairns either, so we are trying to coordinate with her as well. I actually met her in my travels in Tassie! My friend has mentioned renting a car as well, maybe just for a day or two, and that will be a relief for us. I did drive once in Tassie, but there were too many distraught people in the vehicle for me to drive on the WRONG side of the road again! Sorry, the LEFT side of the road ;o) Anyway, do you think it would be a mistake not to prebook some of the tours? Would it be okay to book them once we are in Sydney, or would we be taking a chance on missing out? thanks again for your help!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airport to Palm Cove

Hi Joan,

I hate to say this cringe!!,I have only been to Cairns in January once in my life, it rained for 2 weeks out of the 3 I was there. So the rest of my Cairns visits I don't go there past October. When we were there it rained at night a lot of the time. And it will be hot and humid, my this will be one heck of a shock coming from VI in January.

BUT!! it is the low season, and the attachment below is a good read. You should be OK your booking your tours when you are there. If you are concerned, when looking at their cancellation policy. If you do prebooknand it's raining, ou might be able to change your booking to another day. Last time we were there it was September (high season) and we booked the day before our outer reef tours.

You will get some great days, and you will get some wet. One thing I loved in the wet was the Kuranda rail journey, the amount of waterfalls was incredible, and then you get Barron Falls spectacular after some rain. Like a lot of places watch the weather, it might be raining in one place and not another, it is the tropics.

www.cairnsinfo.com/region_guide/index.php…

The locals from Cairns are very good, you can't beat local knowledge.

I will do my anti-rain dance for you.

Cheers

Robert

Edited: 21 October 2011, 23:20
Trinity Beach...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airport to Palm Cove

Hi Robert & Joan

I was reading your posts thinking how great it is that 2 people are able to help each other out with info from their respective locations. I was wondering if this really happened in these forums & it's just great to see that it does!

Joan, we haven't had much rain yet and even though it bucketed down this morning, only lasted for 5 mins.

I love the rain in the wet & the welcome relief from the heat & humidity.

No probs in getting on tours with 1 days notice.

Hiring a car would be an excellent idea Joan because it will either be very hot & humid ( too hot for walking more than a couple of hundred meters) or will be bucketing down!

If u hire from the airport you will avoid transfers to palm cove.

Not sure if I can mention a local car rental company that will give you 20% off??

I don't know the rules on these forums, or whether you can private message me??

Either way I hope you have a wonderful holiday in cairns/palm cove.

Cheers pip

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,858 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airport to Palm Cove

Hey! First off, Happy New Year! We still have a little over four hours to go here for 2012 to start.

And yes, we did end up hiring a car. My friend did it from Sydney, just a few days ago, as she will be the one driving. We really were not able to do it at all, as the credit card being used has to be the person driving. When we added up the private transfer to and from Palm Cove for the three of us, it was $130.00 right there. And then there would be pick ups from the hotel to go to the GBR trip, so it just made economical sense. We want to get up to the Daintree and Port Douglas area too. Then there are the groceries... we have a kitchen in the apartment, so will want to have breakfast foods and some lunch making stuff.

The rain doesn't concern me too much. It will be warm rain at least! We get a lot of rain where I live as well, but we don't have the humidity.

As far as rules go, I can always recommend a place to eat, stay, or even car rental places, but I don't own any of them! If you are an owner, it is a definite NO! There are guidelines somewhere on the site that you could read over... not sure where now.

Thanks for the weather report. I am really hoping to have a couple of sunny days in that week.

Take care, Joan