We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in March

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in March

Hi all

I am planning a trip for 4/5 days to Cairns/ Great Barrier Reef.

I am a little put off by the severity of the raining season. Is it worth a risk? Does it rain all day or just in the afternoons?

I will be in Sydney and wanted to escape somewhere else warm in Australia somewhere close-ish as opposed to Perth which is too far to travel. If not Cairns, where else is warm and sunny without the risk of so much rain...

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in March

Hi

Yes it is usually our wettest month, but we are still waiting for the rains to arrive this wet season,we do have very heavy days of rain but at other times just a few showers, depends if we have a low around or the monsoon trough is over top of us.so it is a bit hard to tell you what is going to happen March but then again we have lovely sunny days also. So why not take the chance visit the GBR. there is lots to see and do in the Far North

Regards mosiewigs

Sydney
Level Contributor
178 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in March

What about Gold or Sunshine Coast? Still warm, but less rain?

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in March

A good site for weather info from the official government weather sites is

http://www.worldweather.org/185/c00405.htm

March is usually our wettest month up here in Qld, but then again last year was entirely different.

We've had hardly any rain lately and it's been hot and dry.

Wished I had a crystal ball, then I maybe could tell you exactly what it will be like :) One thing I can say with certainty it will still be quite warm on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 10:22
Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in March

Panixxxx

We are in the same preicament. Also travelling from Sydney in March. After lots of research we are thinking of only go as far North as Airlie Beach/ Whitsundays to do the reef, as our main priority is to snorkel the GBR and you can do it from this area, albeit a little further out to sea. The extra 700km to Cairns did not seem worth it. Also the cost of trips does not seem vastly different. Then we were thinking of heading back down to the Sunshine or Gold coast to avoid stingers and rain. we have 14 days though.

Not sure what others think?

Regards T23

5. Re: Weather in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 10:19