We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cairns

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cairns

We will be in the Cairns area for 9 days next march. We are undecided as to how to book hotels. We plan to rent a car. Shall we spend the full 9 days working out of Cairns or book hotels in other areas in order to see and do the most we can?

Edited: 04 November 2013, 23:14
Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,654 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cairns

It depends on what you want to do with your nine days.

Any snorkeling or diving trips leave from Cairns or Port Douglas. PD is an hour north of Cairns. Palm Cove is almost in the middle. That is where we stayed for our week there. Palm Cove is even smaller than Port Douglas.

I used vrbo to find our accommodation, but a popular site for Australia is wotif.

With nine days, I would be tempted to spend some of those nights in Cairns, and then head to PD. The Daintree area is just beautiful, and while you can spend one very long day touring around, I would have preferred another day to take more hikes and spend more time around Daintree Village.

You may even want to consider staying up in Kuranda or the Tablelands.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cairns

As above, it really depends on what you like to do. Are you active peeps?? Cairns is a great base for day trips - eg a trip out snorkelling / diving on the reef, a day up to Kuranda (steam train in one direction, cable car in the other), even white water rafting. Of course its also nice to have some down time. If you stay in Cairns I'd recommend making sure you get a place with a good pool, or close to the public lagoon (free man made beach / swimming pool). March is still considered stinger season, so swimming without a full stinger suit in the ocean is not recommended.

I can't recommend the Daintree area enough either. It's promoted as a day trip area, but I spent 4 nights there last time & there's plenty to do if you're keen - flying fox (zip-line) between the trees of the rainforest, horse riding along the beach, boating along the river spotting the crocs. I stayed at Ferntree Rainforest Lodge, which covers from dorm rooms to secluded lodges & everything in between.

In terms of booking hotels, I'd recommend starting with an online company like wotif.com to begin with; however, it's also worth looking at the hotel websites direct for price comparisons - sometimes you can get pretty decent deals directly.

Wherever you end up, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I just got back, and can't wait to return again. If you've got any questions just ask :O)

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,008 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cairns

We spent two days touring in the Daintree area out of Port Douglas. We could have spent more time there.

Cairns is a city. You may prefer staying somewhere closer to nature and to the rainforest. You could stay in Port Douglas which is much smaller than Cairns and has a great beach. You could also look at staying in the Daintree area itself.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cairns

Good suggestions by everyone. And of course I'm biased towards our beautiful Daintree! Here's a good website which covers the whole Daintree area, both north of the Daintree River to Cape Tribulation and south of the river around Daintree Village:-

www.destinationdaintree.com

J T
San Jose, California
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cairns

Hi, I will be in Cairns in December 2013 also. Do any of you scuba dive?

Would love to dive with others as its safer.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Perth
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cairns

If you're looking for a serene trip, away from the hussle-bussle of the city, then distribute your stay between Palm Coves, Port Douglas and Daintree.

Anyway, Cairns doesn't really have a beach of its own so you will have to come to one of these places. Might as well stay the night there?

A car hire is a good idea to maintain flexibility but at Cairns you have a lot of options to choose from. There are 4WD tours, there are bus rides, pick-up facilities, etc.

Choose what suits you the most.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,753 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cairns

Split your time - Port Douglas - 5 days - Daintree - 2 days - Cairns - 2 days.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
8. Re: cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:17