We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit Great Barrier Reef in February

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
visit Great Barrier Reef in February

I will be visiting Sydney and Melbourne for work mid February and would like to fly out to visit the GBR for 2-3 days, since its been a dream of mines. Unfortunately, the dates are already fixed. Now I read that February is the rainy and cyclone season out there. I dont mind rain so much but a cyclone would really mess up my other travel plans if I get stuck in Cairns (which I cannot afford to happen)

I know no one can predict weather but would you advise against visiting the GBR in Feb?

I'd love to hear your opinions :)

Thanks very much!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,609 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit Great Barrier Reef in February

Check out North Queensland weather www.bom.gov.au

2. Re: visit Great Barrier Reef in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 00:11
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visit Great Barrier Reef in February

The weather is iffy at that time of the year. However; if you don't mind humidity & afternoon rainfalls then you will still be able to see most of the major attractions.

Regarding cyclones it's all in the hands of the "gods" ... I guess you will have to just wait a week before & check out the weather conditions before leaving Melbourne.

Gold coast
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visit Great Barrier Reef in February

Why don't you consider lady Elliot or heron island if you want a reef experience. Both islands are at the bottom tip or great barrier reef, less chance of cyclone/rainy weather and no stingers here this time of year. Heron off Gladstone and lady Elliot off bundaberg, good deals too this time of year too.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,435 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visit Great Barrier Reef in February

I was going to mention the same. Lady Elliot does short hols, is right on the reef and the lagoon is snorklable even in windy weather. You can also wade in the lagoon at low tide which is great as smaller creatures join the others at that time. If the weather is ok you can go further out on a boat or from shore on the other side of the island. Turtles can be seen near shore and mantas further out. The varity of fish and coral is superb. They have all the gear you need and not too expensive to hire.

Flights go from Hervey Bay and Bunderberg. It is also one of the cheaper islands and one of the best dive sites on the reef. You would need to book direct as it is a private island. Easy enough and you can book possibily nearer the time.

Montreal, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: visit Great Barrier Reef in February

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think Ill check the weather before I book anything, after arriving in Sydney. The islands idea is excellent and would be a safer bet but I'm traveling alone and noticed it would cost me well over 1000 bucks whereas out of Cairns, I could manage for half the price, plus there is more flight flexibility for Cairns with my work travel schedule.

Guess Ill have to wait and see!!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visit Great Barrier Reef in February

we have travelled a couple of times to Cairns in late January/early February and never experienced really bad weather. In fact the second time we stayed for two weeks and had minimal rain. Very few tourists, cheaper accom and went out to the reef on Wavelength- stayed at Port Douglas which would highly recommend. It was really hot and humid but most places have a pool so a quick dip at regular intervals would be encouraged.

Just want to mention however the second time we went the area did experience really bad weather later in the month of February. Enjoy it really is a spectacular place to visit and if you don't mind the hear will be ok that time of the year,.

8. Re: visit Great Barrier Reef in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:18