We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wildlife

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
wildlife

We're planning a 2-week vacation in Australia during the "winter", probably August. I think we'll stay in Port Douglas, activities on GBR, visit Daintree rainforest and then head to the red center (Uluru). I'd very much like to see kangaroos, koalas, and any other wildlife in the most "wild" setting possible while still having a good chance to actually spot them. I see there are many zoos and parks in the area but I was wondering where anyone would recommend for the most natural setting? I was looking at Kangaroo island but that's quite a distance.

Thanks! More questions probably to come.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wildlife

Depending on where else you are headed in those two weeks, but areas of rural New South Wales you frequently see kangaroos.

Koalas are much harder to spot in the wild.

Fallon deer in some areas of NSW as well.

That said, note that kangaroos and koalas aren't the cute cuddly creatures people see and adore on TV. Just recently there have been a few reports of people being attacked by kangaroos. Those in zoos are normally friendlier, but wild ones can do some pretty serious damage.

They aren't called boxing kangaroos for nothing :)

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wildlife

Kangaroos are mainly found in the dryer inland, or Outback, country so you are likely to see them if you head inland and to Uluru. We do have their smaller cousins, the wallabies but in the wild it really is the luck of the draw to see them. (I've just been for a walk round our 30 acre property and saw a couple, as I often do.)

Koalas in Queensland are concentrated in the south-east corner but are still notoriously difficult to see in the wild - years ago we actually lived in the 'koala corridor' outside Brisbane ... and can count on one hand the number we actually saw, although we heard many during the night.

The best experience I can recommend in this area is Wildlife Habitat at Port Douglas where they have hundreds of kangaroos and wallabies roaming freely - you can hand-feed them. There's also a koala habitat where you can have a cuddle if you want to. They also have just about all species of Australian birds and animals - the birds are free-flying under an enormous canopy, feeding and nesting in the 'forest' which they have grown for them, lagoons and boardwalks - fabulous photo-opportunities there!

When you drive north to Port Douglas from Cairns, just north of Cairns at Smithfield, there is a paddock (field) on the right where you will sometimes see some kangaroos and wallabies grazing on the grass, often close to sunset.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wildlife

There are pockets in Sydney where you see them (roos) (like around Dural Golf Club there are heaps and deer as well), also Snowy Mountains highway, and areas like that. Wagga Wagga gets a few around too.

Worth noting too that the wild ones are mainly spotted of a night or on dusk/dawn.

4. Re: wildlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:17