We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns to Sydney - grayhound bus...camping?

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Cairns to Sydney - grayhound bus...camping?

Hi, two of us are planning a trip along the east coast taking 3 weeks.

Our budget won't afford us a camper and hostels for 3 weeks would drain the bank.

So we are thinking of getting grayhound bus passes and buying a cheap tent.

The question is, will there be campsites along the way (Byron bay, Whitsundays, noosa, airlee beach, Hervey bay, etc) and will the campsites be much cheaper than a dorm bed?

Any advice on this and other stuff you think might be relevant for my trip would be awesome.

Thanks

Bryn

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns to Sydney - grayhound bus...camping?

I just wonder if what you want to do is both practical and feasible. I struggle to see how it would fit using Greyhound buses and camping but you never know.

I would draft up a itinerary using the Greyhound bus time table and do a Google search to see what camping grounds are available in the towns you want to stop at.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns to Sydney - grayhound bus...camping?

I'm with Famrick on this. Its just not feasible. I'd suggest cutting your time back, to say, maybe 10 days, and being a bit more comfortable. Good luck

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,044 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns to Sydney - grayhound bus...camping?

Guru and i did the bus, camp, greyhound pass an aeon and more ago…

OP you will need to be frugal.

Small lightweight tent, self inflating mattress, lightest bag, trangia cooking system and a good torch (even now i keep thinking how about I throw the tent in the boot and tour!)

FF 30 yrs and I reckon a dorm bed is the same price. out of the weather and readily available

The camp grounds will be around $20 per night and readily available but now there are better options?

4. Re: Cairns to Sydney - grayhound bus...camping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:17