We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amakala woodbury tented camp

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
amakala woodbury tented camp

we spent two nights at the tented camp. the guides are very good, food OK and the lodge itself is OK.

However the tented accomodation left a LOT to be desired. The website advertises the tents as luxury ensuite tents. This is far from the truth. The toilet is not actually in the bathroom and you have to go outside to go to the toilet.... and the lights along the pathway which guide you to your tent were not working.

Also the tents are in thick thorn bush with no view at all (although the view from the lodge is great).

Apparently the tents were intially built as accomodation for trainee guides of mixed sex so that is why the toilets are NOT ensuite. They leave a lot to be desired considering the high price of a night's accomodation.

I wrote to the owners after we returned to the UK and asked for a partial refund, which was offered and never paid.

we visit the bush every year and have stayed in other tents which are much much better. If you are expecting luxury go somewhere else.

Edited: 11 February 2012, 11:41
6 replies to this topic
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amakala woodbury tented camp

we enjoyed staying at the Safari Lodge, Amakhala last week. .

We did not see much game as it had been raining for days, but the magnificent scenery alone made it worth while.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amakala woodbury tented camp

I stayed in the Reserve in December and i enjoyed it to the last bit. If you wanted Luxury, then you should have opt for the Amakhala Woodbury Lodge which is just 10mins away from there. By checking in and you did not like it, you should have spoken up and said something, maybe then they should have made a plan. I can not complain or say anything bad about them, the food was excellent, the drinks was included in the bill, my bed was made, the lights was always on, the Rangers was excellent and i had free wifi. Brilliant.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amakala woodbury tented camp

Yip, I would agree with Hank!

I've known and dealt with Amakhala for many years, and I know that they would have made every effort to accommodate you if you were dissatisfied in any way. Woodbury (and Amakhala in general) has always stood amongst some of the most honourable folk I've known.

I consider it unfair for you to arrive on this forum simply to complain about your accommodation, and I don't believe you addressed your concerns or complaints with the management or owners of the lodge while you were there (only after you left). The tented camp is designed as a lower budget option to the adjacent Woodbury Lodge (which IMO is really beautiful), and I don't think you had any intention of paying the premium to stay at the lodge.

You could have moved elsewhere on arrival if you felt cheated in any way.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 16:14
london
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amakala woodbury tented camp

well Hank as a 'destination expert' could you please explain to me why the management intially offered a refund (token i would call it) and have never followed up or paid what they offered. AND I did speak to them about the accomodation whilst there, hence i know what the tents were originally errected for staff.

I visit the bush a lot and these tents were beolw standard, no question

birmingham
Level Contributor
1 post
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: amakala woodbury tented camp

Just got back from here. In our opinion the Game Reserve is fantastic for anyone wanting a genuine safari experience – this is not in any way Zoo-like... nor it is true "luxurious" but we did not expect that. Animals live wild, predators feeding on each other in a natural hunting habitat not “fed” for tourist entertainment by Rangers as many other reserves practice. There is a very wide and varied range of animals including big 5.

On the downside the accommodation, even though we expected tents of course, is now becoming tired and will need attention it is fair to say. It is extremely basic and would not suit everyone. The actual drives and boat trip are awesome especially if all the Rangers are as enthusiastic and knowledgeable as ours was; Justin brought the whole experience to life and we could not be more complimentary to him. Food is ok, plentiful but nothing particularly special and complimentary drinks are readily available. It was nice and appreciated that the owner joined the group for the last dinner.

The landscape scenarios are quite breathtaking and we would highly recommend Amakhala for anyone who wants to see a small part of true Africa its flora and fauna. If you want luxury go somewhere else.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,197 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: amakala woodbury tented camp

Woodbury Tented camp has never been advertised as luxury - it has only ever been advertised as 3*. Bush Lodge is the 5* luxury Tented camp and there is a considerable price difference. You cannot expect 5* luxury at 3* prices. Note - the price of your accommodation includes the services of the very good guide for about 7 hours and all food and tea and coffee and probably alcohol as well.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 18:27
Reply to: amakala woodbury tented camp
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amakhala Game Reserve
Recent Conversations
More Amakhala Game Reserve Topics