We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mianshan Mountain trip

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
280 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mianshan Mountain trip

I am comign to jiexiu so that I can take a trip to the city on the cliffs.

Once I arrive there, what is the best way to go to Mianshan, local bus, organized tour? It is easy to do on its own, walk up and down, round and about? Is there one entrance fee for the resort, or individal fee for diffrent things?

Thank you!

12 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

I recommend you manage to find a guide which has been there. The resort area is quite large and has 2 main but separated areas, up for mountain for culture and down for canyon and waters for nature, for sightseeing. Beside this you may have known there is another spot called Zhangbi undergroud castle which is located near Jiexiu and which is also worth a visit and enroute which you can hire a car to reach Mianshan.

Only the situation out of Jiexiu station will be headaching for foreigner, the mixed kinds of buses. So i only recommend you hire a guide somewhere for the trip and avoid weekend if you want overnight on mountain.

I would like list personal opinion for some costs:

1 private guiding: 150 Yuan / day.

2 only one ticket for every thing: 110 for high season, optinal 5 for insurance.

3 bus for Mianshan from Jiexiu train station : 6 Yuan.

4 private car one way: 50 if enroute Zhangbi.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

And be sure to arrive at Jiexiu train station early if you plan to take bus to Mianshan.

Oz
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

I hadnt heard about Mianshan Mountain until I read about it in the forum. looks really interesting. We will be staying in Pingyao for a couple of nights and am considering a visit to Mianshan Monuntain. Our trip is planned for September 2012. My questions are:

1. What is the best way of getting from Pingyao to Mianshan ?

2. Can anyone recommend a guide and/or driver?

3. How far away is this place and is it worth going?

4. Do we need to stay the night or is it a day trip from Pingyao?

Our next destination from Pingyao is Chengdu

Mentioned in this post
Pingyao County
Pingyao County
Shanxi, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Edmonton
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

In September 2011 I took my 76 yr old mother to China and for this part of the journey we went from Pingyao on the bus to Jiexiu (super cheap, just try to get your tickets a day early so they don't sell out!). Once you get to Jiexiu, quite a few taxi drivers were milling about outside the depot and all I asked was 'Mianshan?' and one guy hopped up to us and told us how much (in chinese) we would charge to drive us to the hotel there (he asked 150RMB, so we were ok with that. I bet it could have been cheaper if we were so darn tired). He drove us the 30min drive up to the hotel (you have to pay to get into the site itself, he stopped and we got out and paid the entrance fee). There are a selection of hotels up there, and one of them is quite good for foreigners!). We arranged to have him come back and pick us up again, and had to pay and extra 50RMB because he had to pay the entrance fee again just to come back inside the grounds but your hotel might have a better suggestion, email them before you go and perhaps they can arrange to pick you up at the train station instead. Also! Buy your next train ticket once you arrive in Jiexiu, don't wait until the day you leave or you might not get a seat! So, was it worth it? I loved that place!! I'm planning to go back next year, too! From the entrance to the end of the road (a lovely waterfall valley!), it's about 1-2kms along the cliff's edge and you 'could' walk it but someitmes people stop in their cars and pick you up and take you along, sometimes for a fee sometimes free. There is so much to do there, 2-3 nights would just cover the main sites. There's a good youtube video of the area, check it out. Any more questions?

Mentioned in this post
Pingyao County
Pingyao County
Shanxi, China
Oz
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

Thanks for the very useful information! I don't speak any Chinese so will it be a problem getting a driver? How long did the bus trip take? Are the roads really windy? Suffer from car sickness but there are tablets for that si it's not going to stop me. Just clarifying that I can take a train to Chengdu? If so how long is that journey? Are there flights from jiexiu?

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Edmonton
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

I'm not sure it's a great idea to head for Jiexiu if you don't have a couple phrases (at least) in Mandarin under your belt. There's not a lot of English words up on that mountain area, and less who can speak it. Even at the hotels. Phrases like 'how much' and 'thank you' and 'too expensive' are handy to learn. Yes, there is 1 direct train from Jiexiu to Chengdu but you'd have to buy that ticket at least a day or so in advance since they tend to sell out quickly and then you are stuck. Alternatively, you can take a train ti Xian (see the terracotta warriors) and then another train to Chengdu--it's the same route but chopped into 2 bits so it's not such a strain. Go here for train schedules: www.travelchinaguide.com and click on TRAINS up at the top. Very handy website. Can't help you with the buses or flights from Jiexiu--never took them.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Burnaby, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

I do not speak chinese. I plan to just hire a car to drive me to mianshan. Do you think a tour guude is required to see mian shan? Or a self tour will be ok ?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
201 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

You are going to have a hard time without speaking any chinese in that area. Three years ago, it was tough enough communicating my needs so I doubt it has changed much (it's not the most foreigner-friendly area). Have the instructions you want your driver to know written down on a card before you arrive, so you can show it to the group of taxi drivers that will be lingering around the train station waiting for fares. Can you negotiate a price? They will drive a hard bargain unless you can barter some. Make sure you arrange to have him come back to pick you up when you want to leave. Are you staying in one of the hotels up there? There is one that caters to westerners a little bit. If you stay there, the tiny ribbon of road that links the sites is winding and although I heard there was a shuttle bus between sites I never saw one so be prepared to walk A LOT. If you are only there for a few hours then make sure that is written on the instruction card and he can wait for you (it'll be hard calling for a taxi when you are there). Make sure you have the word for 'taxi' written down separately on another card. It's truly lovely up there, and worth the effort, if you don't mind casting aside the comforts of home for a bit.

Burnaby, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

Webwalker: Thanks for the tip. I plan to hire a driver to take me to mian shan and wait for me. My concern is, do you think it's easy enough without a guide to walk around the area ? You mentioned that it's 1-2KM from entrance to end of the road, that doesn't sound bad. I would imagine there's a bunch of nooks and corners and crannies within 1-2KM, is it easy to get lost in that area ?

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Mianshan Mountain trip

Mian shan, also called Jie shan, was called Tian shan at the time of Jie Zitui.

It was in this Mianshan area that Jie Zitui lived with his mother, and the King Chong-er burned the entire wood hills to force him out, just to find him burn alive with his mother.

A piece of China Jin state history under Chonger Jin Wen Duke.

I lived in Jinzhong downtown, Yuci, a suburb of Yuci on border with Taiyuan, for 1 year. Just didnot know about Jiexiu until today, 4 months after I left Jinzhong.

Oldest places in Shanxi could be listed:

1. Yicheng, Linfen (Tang, Tang)

2. Taiyuan (Jinyang, Jin). There is a river named Jin, source could be near Jinci temple. It made the name of the city Jinyang and the state of Jin as well.

3. Yuncheng

4. Houma

etc...

Mentioned in this post
Taiyuan
Taiyuan
Shanxi, China
Reply to: Mianshan Mountain trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jiexiu