We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to my father's village

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to my father's village

I would like to take my family to see my father's village in Taishan but I don't know if it is possible. His village is: 广东省江门市台山市 白沙镇朗南管理区相望石村). I can speak Cantonese but I have never been to Taishan, Can I get to this village by taxi or car by Taicheng? Would appreciate any help that I can get. Thank you so much!

13 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to my father's village

"by Taicheng"... what is Taicheng?

Do you have any family or relatives living in that village? If so, that would be your best source.

If not, it seems you just want to take your family to see where you father used to live? It may be a bit "iffy" if your father is not with you, in that you may be visiting a wrong village on your own.

Here is my suggestion:

I have located as far as "白沙镇". But not the rest of the details.

Map:

https://goo.gl/maps/vRMmw

It looks like this "白沙镇" is close to Kaiping. I would arrange for transportation as - something like flying to Hong Kong. Take the cross-border bus to Kaiping and use it as a base (hotel, stay for a few days).

It may be easier if you have a local guide. Fix the hotel first. Then contact the hotel concierge and see if they can line up a local guide for you, as a translator or assistant to take you around. You can check with them ahead of time using the address you provided and any additional information. You should be able to hire a local taxi in Kaiping to drive you around. It looks on a map that the "白沙镇" is only about 15km from Kaiping (~ 10 miles) so it shouldn't be too far away.

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to my father's village

Thanks so much for your information. It is very helpful. By Taicheng, I mean Taishan City. I didn't know that Kaiping is so close because the "白沙镇" is in Taishan. Yes, you are right, I would like to bring my family back to their grandparent's village just to take a look. We do not have any relatives there any more. I only have the names of the villages. I also don't read Chinese so it is very difficult to find anything.

I will also need to go to Xinhui, Zhongshan and Enping. It is a kind of going back to roots trip for us. I was planning to stay in Jiangmen as a base.

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to my father's village

doggielab:

I have zoomed in a little bit using baidu map (better for use in China), and correlated it with a few other web pages.

Here is the location of your father's village 相望石 (the name means "mutually looking rock"). Close to a major route S367. With that map location, it's probably good enough for a taxi driver.

Google Map (satellite image):

https://goo.gl/maps/zDdCf

The dot should be where that village center is, approximately.

Baidu map:

http://j.map.baidu.com/lML8v

You can correlate the two.

Going through "meet99.com" (looks like they list China's city/villages in hierarchy). It starts with "白沙镇". If you pan to the lower-right (south-east), and guide by the road S367, you will see 相望石.

http://www.meet99.com/map-5923.html

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to my father's village

According to this page:

http://0086gd.com/taishan/bszhengkqh.html

It gives you the longitude and latitude of 朗南村. Which is:

朗南村 经度 11260961 ,纬度 2216106;

Translations:

Longitude: 112.60961

Latitude: 22.16106

If you plug these coordinates in a Google Map, it will show 朗南村 Lang Nancun (a bigger village, I guess), and it also shows 相望石 Xiangwangshi. (upper right)

https://goo.gl/maps/hiZUr

I am comfortable that you have your family village pinned on a map.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to my father's village

Well done! HF1234.

Hi my neigbour,

Agreed that 朗南村 is the nearest hub to 相望石村.

In addition, use Google Map locate 中国广东省江门市台山市 and 中国广东省江门市台山市康桥温泉.

By car, from 台山市 to 横溪里 (26KM, the junction on S#367) and go to 相望石村 (700m).

Longitude: 112.62213

Latitude: 22.177152,

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to my father's village

Thank you so much for the detailed maps and instructions. I feel more confident if this information and I could have never found it myself because I cannot read a lot of Chinese!

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to my father's village

Thank you for your additional information. You have all been so helpful!

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to my father's village

doggielab:

You are very welcome! What you are doing is commendable. Have fun! My wife's family was from Taishan too. Glad to be able to help a little bit.

Shanghai, Shanghai...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to my father's village

It is easy to hire a taxi for a half day or day. I have done this many times bringing old overseas Chinese and second generation descendants back to the countryside.

Best way to do it is to ask any taxi driver you can hail in Taishan city 台城。 Many taxi drivers are from the country side. Ask taxi driver if he knows 白沙镇 or whether any of his taxi driver buddies are from the area.

Do not bother with drivers who are not from the Taishan area. Don't get driver from Jiangmen or Kaiping. They will be lost and useless when you get to the area. The local village folks only respond to persons who have idea of the area. The local village folk generally give directions with nearby village names as milestones.

When you get to village, look for old residents or the village chief 村长。 Have the name of your father and grandfather. Then it will be a piece of cake

Shanghai, Shanghai...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to my father's village

It is easy to hire a taxi for a half day or day. I have done this many times bringing old overseas Chinese and second generation descendants back to the countryside.

Best way to do it is to ask any taxi driver you can hail in Taishan city 台城。 Many taxi drivers are from the country side. Ask taxi driver if he knows 白沙镇 or whether any of his taxi driver buddies are from the area.

Do not bother with drivers who are not from the Taishan area. Don't get driver from Jiangmen or Kaiping. They will be lost and useless when you get to the area. The local village folks only respond to persons who have idea of the area. The local village folk generally give directions with nearby village names as milestones.

When you get to village, look for old residents or the village chief 村长。 Have the name of your father and grandfather. Then it will be a piece of cake

Reply to: How to get to my father's village
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taishan