We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

We will be in Beijing mid-october and we have 8 days to do side trip to Xinjiang (Urumqi-Turpan-Kashgar).Wondering if it will be too cold at this time of year to enjoy the sights?. Is it still possible to do a day trip to Karakul lake and maybe another day to Taklimakan desert? We realise it is too cold for camping/ staying in a yurt.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,750 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

Not too cold for me but only you can judge about your situation. Check the weather on th internet and decide.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

We travelled by car all the way from Turpan to Kashgar but you don't have quite enough time for that. Yes you can do the day trips you mention quite easily but do try to be in Kashgar for the Sunday morning animal market.

If you want to organize something in advance, contact Ali Tash at Uighur Tours.

australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

I think we are more worried about the cold weather causing travel disruptions (road closures and flight cancellations) BUT we have decided to go for it! How does this rough itinerary sound?

14th Oct: Early flight Beijing- Urumqi. Lunch in Urumqi then head off to Turpan. Visit Jiohe ruins and Karez.

15th Oct: Turpan : Gaochang ruins, Flaming Mountains, Tuyuq village, Emin minaret. Return to Urumqi

16th Oct: Heavenly lake. Evening flight Urumqi- Kashgar

17th Oct: Kashgar

18th Oct: Day trip to Karakul lake

19th Oct:: Day trip to Shipston's Arch? Alternative?

20th Oct: Sunday Market! Evening flight to Urumqi

21st Oct: Early flight Urumqi to Dunhuang. Mogao Caves and Singing Dunes

22nd Oct: Flight to Chengdu

Xinjiang County...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

Hi,

it sounds very good, but do not miss the camp tour in Taklamakan Desert and Oc is the best time to do it. after you finish your tour in kashgar, you can get to Hotan by train or bus .after finish the day trip in Hotan , you can fly to urumqi.if you need more informations about desert camp tour, pleaase get in touch with this eamail

treklab@gmail.com

5. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 13:51
Edited: 02 September 2015, 13:51
6. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

Oh sure...mention Shipston's Arch, which I've never heard of and of course didn't see when we were there. I would definitely go for that. Now I may have to return to Kashgar just to see the arch and it's all your fault. :)

Your itinerary looks good. I'm quite sure you'll find this part of the world very interesting and I don't think mid-october weather will cause you any problems at all.

KS
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

Hi there,

your travel itinerary looks very good. it is pleasant time of the year to travel and I suggest you to visit Kashgar during 15th October if possible as it is Kurban festival (worldwide Muslim festival) and it is good festival atmosphere here in kashgar. http://www.uighurtour.com/

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,426 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

I'd scrap Shipton's Arch and make the Karakul trip a 2-day overnighter on the 18th-19th. Maybe get as far as Tashkorgan and visit a Tajik village between Karakul and Tashkorgan (you'll need a Kashgar-based guide for this). I think the rest of the plan is fine.

10. Re: Kashgar 3rd week of October- advise required

Edited: 02 September 2015, 13:51