We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Jum to Krabi

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Jum to Krabi

Hi can anyone tell me the best way to return to Krabi from Koh Jum? I've read the ferry back to Krabi is at 8.30am but this is too early. Can you hire a private taxi?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

Hi,

As you've discovered, the Lanta to Krabi ferry stops by Jum to pick up passengers around 8.30-8.45 when it runs, aprox Nov-April. Fare is 400thb pp. There is also a small public boat that goes back to the mainland at Laem Kruat from Ban ko Jum it leaves early too, 50thb. You can arrange a longtail to take you which will be about 2000thb or 2500-3000thb to the airport/Krabi town. Either your bungalow can arrange this option or there's a travel agent in Ban Koh Jum by the pier and he can sort you out too

Cheers

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

Thank you very much for the info we will take the long boat option as this will give us longer on the island. We are stayinging at the Koh Jum resort. Is the pier with the travel agent far from the resort?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

Hi,

Koh jum resort is on ting rai beach on the north of the island, so it's not very close to ban koh jum village where jum travel is. Better to either e mail sawat @ sawat_jumtravel@hotmail.com for a quote or just get koh jum resort to sort it out when you're there, probably around the same price anyway

Cheers

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,347 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

OK, there are basically 3 ways depending on your budget and sense the adventure:

(a) The high-budget, low-risk way is to take the transfer your resort is offering for 1500 baht per person. I find this extremely high.

(b) Your bungalows are actually not too far from a pier from which there are quite frequent longtail boats - Mootoo Pier. I'm pretty sure they run at noon and early afternoon as well as early morning and late evening (but I'm not sure of the timings because I've only gone myself to Laem Kruat in the early morning). You can get a tuktuk to the pier for 100 baht, take the longtail to Laem Kruat, and have a car service drive you to the airport for 800 baht.

(c) The hard-core I-do-things-the-Thai-way low-budget option: take the longtail to Laem Kruat as above and then the little blue and yellow songthaew (local truck bus) which heads for Krabi Town via Nuea Khlong (which is just outside the airport). It stops to let off passengers in Nuea Klong and then drives right past the airport, letting you off on the highway. You cross the highway and walk into the airport (5 minutes). This costs 70 baht if I remember correctly. The songthaews are full of locals heading into town to shop or do business, so it's an upclose contact with the people. It takes about an hour to the airport.

For (b) and (c) you will have to make a trip over Mootoo Pier to check on the boat times. This does not involve a trip to Ban Koh Jum as Paulo suggested, but you'll want to go down there anyway for the food and the village life.

For (b) just call one of the car companies. They're all about the same. Here are some possibilities:

www.krabirailay.com/transport/transport.html

orientalescape.com/thailand/…krabi.html

Or just get the number of the airport transportation desk on the right at you leave the Arrivals hall, and call them when you want to book. You're booking Laem Kruat to Airport, NOT Koh Jum to Airport.

Edited: 18 September 2011, 23:29
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,347 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

Oh, by the way the boat costs 50 baht per person.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

Thank for the info. When we leave Koh Jum were heading back to ao nang where our hotel is. Were staying at the phi pha ao nang resort but taking one nite out to do Koh Jum.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,347 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

In that case, for the budget option (c) you would take the blue and yellow songthaew all the way to Krabi Town, and then a white songthaew to Ao Nang (50 baht).

But a car service straight through would obviously be much easier. Cost: maybe 1200 baht.

IMHO it's a shame you're only giving Koh Jum one night. You won't even have time to get your bearings on the island, much less compare its rocky, hilly northern "Koh Pu" end with its flat, sandy "Koh Jum" end, or try out the funky eateries in Koh Jum Village, or walk the length of gorgeous Andaman Beach.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

Thanx again for the info we may extend our stay to 2 nights. We will get a boat to laem kruat and a car to ao nang if that's an option.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

I am just learning about Koh Jum for the first time. I have 2 days in between Ao Nang and Koh Lanta. What is Koh Jum like?Where do you recomment to stay? We were thinking of spending the 2 days in Phuket, but aren't too crazy about going there. thanks!

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Jum to Krabi

Koh Jum is fab it's a small but beautiful island. It's pretty much undiscovered. It's fairly basic an the town is tiny but the beaches are great an never crowded and you can have them to yourself. We originally booked Koh Jum resort but they gave our rooms away and treated us very poorly so i would not stay there. We stayed at andaman bungalows which was great and rite on the beach. Hope this helps.

Get answers to your questions about Ko Jum