We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

How would you describe the main differences between Koh Jum and Koh Lanta?

I will be coming to the area Mar 2-7 with my husband. Had been planning on Koh Lanta, but now wonder if Koh Jum might be a better option. We want beautiful scenery and relaxing atmosphere with easy beaches (not strong swimmers). We want to avoid big party scenes but do want some restaurant options and possibilities for exploration on the island. Perhaps hiking, biking or scootering around. Perhaps taking a day trip on a longtail boat to other islands.

Anyone pro for switching gears to Koh Jum? Or does Koh Lanta still see great?

Thanks for your input!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,775 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

Hi,

Ko Jum is still like the Thailand of 20 years ago, very low key, little development and not much nightlife outside of the bungalows.

Ko Lanta used to be similar but has developed fairly well in recent years and offers a far wider range of accommodation, restaurants a market or two and a more developed infrastructure.

In March Lanta will be getting quieter, Jum will be quiet.

Cheers

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

Thanks, Paulo. Wow, you've helped with my only two recent questions in two completely different places! Nice!

I'm leaning toward Koh Lanta simply because we like to check things out and wander around places a bit ...

I'm getting excited for this trip!

Devon
Level Contributor
488 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

Hi Michelle

We have stayed on both and found both delightful but quite different. On Lanta we stayed at Khlong Dao, it is a crescent shaped beach maybe a mile long. There are several small hotels and restaurants along the beach and we loved walking along in the evenings on the sand barefooted whilst deciding where to eat, in 10 nights we didnt run out of choices or put our shoes on! during the day when not relaxing on the sunbeds we hired mopeds and explored the island, we hired a longtail boat for the day, went elephant riding, thai cookery course, and walked along the beach.

And then there is beautiful Koh Jum with the only way to get there longtail boat from the mainland or ferry and then transfer to longtail boat at sea. We spoilt ourselves and stay at the amazing Koh Jum lodge, and basically that is where we stayed. It is situated on a fairly small bay with a few hotels, we could have ventured to one of these for an evening meal but seemed unable to tear ourselves away. We did walk into "town" its small, a few restaurants and stores and there is one or two villages. A lot of the island still has no electricity and there is only a relatively small section of tarmac road.

We visited both in February.

Enjoy your visit

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,775 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

Hi,

You can of course go to Jum for a night to see what you think.

Take the 08:30 Krabi ferry from Saladin, jump off at the first stop onto one of the bungalow longboats and stay a night and get the 12:30 ferry back the next day.

Lanta does have more going on though so probably the best option for a first visit.

Cheers

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
839 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

My husband and I were just on both islands. Ko Lanta for one week and Ko Jum for 4 nights. We loved both but I think I would suggest Ko Lanta as there are more restaurant options, more places to explore and the beaches are beautiful. We stayed on Long Beach and found it very central, the beach was beautiful and there were many restaurant options all along the beach and right on the main road. We took a tuk tuk to the south end of the island one day and that was nice too. We both agreed that where we stayed seemed to have more amenities though. It was only 100 baht each way for two of us to go to Saladan which was handy to go to the banks and for shopping. Have fun.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

There is more to do on Lanta and it is much much bigger. Koh Jum is definitely for kicking back. Why not do both? They are so close...

Burbank
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

We will be staying in Koh Jum, we would like to go elephant riding any suggestions of how to get there.

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,775 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

Hi,

There is no elephant riding on Ko Jum, you would have to go to Lanta for that.

Cheers

Burbank
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

Thanks,

is there a ferry or long boat that we can take there ?

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,775 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Jum vs. Koh Lanta

Hi,

Yes, a longtail would run to about 1600B and takes roughly an hour each way. The Krabi Lanta ferry doesn't have good timings for a day trip, but you could take the midday ferry and stay overnight on Lanta and come back in the morning. However with two of you the price is about the same as a longtail.

Cheers

Get answers to your questions about Ko Jum