We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko jum accommodation

Newcastle upon...
10 posts
Save Topic
Ko jum accommodation

We're hoping to stay on ko jum for a few nights in march, can anyone recommend anywhere nice to stay? (Mid range price)

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,891 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko jum accommodation

I stay at New Bungalow which is friendly, has a great kitchen and the best beach on the island. We've been going there for years and renting one of their deluxe 600 baht bungalows. That's mid-priced for Koh Jum. Have a look at my little video: "A Day in the Life of New Bungalow." http://youtu.be/0dLfuJQHqxk

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
863 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko jum accommodation

I would suggest somewhere more in the centre of the island because otherwise you are stranded and stuck in one spot. We originally were going to stay at the far north end of the island. Once we arrived we realized we would have been completely isolated from any villages or restaurants. We moved to the Long Beach area and absolutely loved it. Try and find a hotel that has bicycles for you to use. It's a fun way to explore a bit. We stayed at Koh Jum Lodge and really liked it. We also stayed at Koh Jum Beach Villas which were extraordinary but pricey. We looked at Season Bungalows and if we could have gotten into their more deluxe units we would have been happy to stay there. My biggest advice is location. Stay central, not at one end or the other. We explored Freedom Bar one day and although the beach was beautiful, they were completely isolated and I didn't see any bikes for use. It was a long, hot, dusty walk to the village just to find a restaurant. Andaman beach resort looked good. We didn't see inside the units. Maybe check out the reviews there and Season.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,891 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko jum accommodation

No way is Freedom "isolated" and it's about a 10-15 minute walk through the forest to the village from there. The resorts at the southern end are much closer to Koh Jum Village than those further up the beach. And as far as restaurants go, you've got the restaurants at Freedom, New Bungalow and Joy in close proximity. Mama Holland's Rim Tang Restaurant is about 10 minutes walk on the edge of the village. However, Bo Daeng IS a substantial walk up the beach (although it's worth every minute).

The resorts in the rocky northern end of the island really are much more isolated due to the topography, though. But that (along with rocky beaches) is the trade off for the sea views and picturesque mountainside locations.

Newcastle upon...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko jum accommodation

Thanks for all your advice :-) we're thinking of staying at seasons bungalows so hope it's ok!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
863 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko jum accommodation

We saw inside the basic units ( green and white ones at the back of the property) at Seasons and they were clean but pretty standard. If you could get the chalets towards the front of the property they might be fancier. Still the basics would be fine. Like I said, very clean which is very important IMO. I think you would be happy there and the prices seem pretty reasonable. Nice beach too. We had dinner there one night and it was good. There are a few places right along the beach for dinner. I would highly recommend having lunch or dinner beside the pool at the Koh Jum Beach Villas (2 resorts down on the beach). The food is excellent and not expensive as you would think it would be. Don't be intimidated by the looks of it. Also excellent massages there and same price as the other massage huts on the beach. Have fun

Brighton
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko jum accommodation

Hi guys! Just have a quick question for anyone who might be familiar with Koh Jum (as you all seem to be).

I plan to stay a few nights in the first couple of weeks in January. I've had a look through the options and like the look of Joy Bungalows and New Bungalows - both in terms of location and how they are run.

Do you think I will need to book or will there be rooms available when we turn up? I am new to the Thai islands and can see on the one hand that this is peak season, but also that Koh Jum is a peaceful place.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,891 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko jum accommodation

At New Bungalow, there's a constant flow of comings and goings for the cheaper and rock-bottom bungalows, but the sweet "deluxe" places nearest the beach are sometimes blocked up by people who hunker down for a while. Early January can be busy. Best to call or email ahead and ask them to hold something. I have no idea about Joy's policies.

You should understand that the way it works is you get a bungalow and stay there until you want to leave, not reserve one from x-date to y-date.

There's plenty of other accommodation on the island if this doesn't work out.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,891 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko jum accommodation

By the way, I'd like to clear up a misconception earlier in this thread. There's nowhere on the island where you're truly "isolated." (Well maybe the places in the extreme north of Koh Pu are a bit more cut off.) But you can always get a tuktuk for 100 baht to take you anywhere you want to go. A bit adventurous on some of the rough tracks in the jungle, but still...

9. Re: Ko jum accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2015, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Ko Jum
Recent Conversations