We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still sandflies on Koh Kut?

Which Ko Kut hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Still sandflies on Koh Kut?

I've been to Thailand many times and never heard about sandflies. Reaching info on Koh Kut/Koh Chang it looks actually we have here these sandflies. Topics in forum for this issue are quite old, is it still a problem? Why some people are saying there are sandflies and some no? Are them seasonal? I'll be there from 15 march 2014 to 22. Don't know if try this area or go in some "commercial" area :( to avoid sandflies. Any suggestion? I'd really appreciate. Many thanks everybody.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still sandflies on Koh Kut?

You tend to get them on quieter beaches where there aren't many people walking on the sand or the sand isn't being raked by hotel staff.

Not noticed any on two recent trips to Koh Kood.

Often get some around Klong Prao beach, as some stretches of it are undeveloped. But it's quite cool & windy at the moment, which they don't seem to like.

On Koh Kood people now selling home made sandfly 'cream' made from clay & aloe Vera ( according to the sign) , no idea if it works or not.

Ko Chang, Thailand
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still sandflies on Koh Kut?

Koh Kood (Kut) may have the odd few but it is not a problem as can be/is the case with Koh Mak (Maak). There, it is fair to put out a general warning of being aware of it and preparing before you go with creams etc.

I have been bitten on Koh Kood, but is is on a day when visiting all the beaches so which one was to blame is impossible to say. As Ian says, I have also been bitten at sunset on Klong Prao beach on Koh Chang, but it is not something to worry about.

So in answer to your question, you should be fine in Koh Kut at that time, but take some anti-histamine cream just in case. It will be hot hot by the way at that time of year.

Regards

Christy

Christy

Ko Mak, Thailand
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still sandflies on Koh Kut?

Yes, there are still sandflies on Koh Kood, but the story of sand flies is complex. Many factors come into play, such as time of day, temperature, wind, source, granularity and disturbance of the sand, etc. Most of all, sand flies "like" some people and don't like some people. So you can be talking to someone on the beach and not be bothered while the person you are talking to is eaten alive. Thus, we have had many guests come back from Koh Kood this year who have had no trouble at all, and a few that got eaten alive. Some strong deet (40% or more) mixed in with your sunscreen will help keep them away, but no repellent is perfect or 100% if they like you. If you get bit, hydrocortisone cream or antergan cream will help a lot after the fact.

4. Re: Still sandflies on Koh Kut?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Ko Kut
Recent Conversations