We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing wild elephants in Corbett

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing wild elephants in Corbett

What months are the best time to see wild elephants in Corbett?

How likely is it to see any in a 4-6 night stay?

Would you say a 6 night stay in Corbett is an ideal amount of time? (Obviously 6 months would be more ideal, but being realistic...)

Are there certain Forest Camps that are better for elephant viewing than others?

Elephant back safaris seem common in Corbett. What are are your thoughts on those?

If anyone has done elephant safaris in Chitwan and can make some comparisons, please do.

Thanks!

Kosi River
Bodies of Water
Garjiya Devi Temple
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Go Wild Adventure Park
Game & Entertainment Centres, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Corbett Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing wild elephants in Corbett

I have been reading Corbett trip reports on my nature club and it seems quite common that you spot elephants. The Corbett grassland, called chaur, is the favourite haunt of elephants. Here's a blog with a Corbett trip report (one of the nicest I have read) which explains the habitat in Corbett and what is what:

…wordpress.com/2009/06/04/glorious-corbett-i/

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing wild elephants in Corbett

Thanks, a delightful blog, I agree.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing wild elephants in Corbett

I just got back from there last week, having been on 3 safaris to Bijrani and Dhikala. We saw elephants in Bijrani but saw also a large herd of over 50 elephants in Dhikala. So May is a good time to see elephants in corbett but I know I am correct to say they are always there. It is depending on them being in the open to see them.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing wild elephants in Corbett

Elephant sighting are very common at Corbett.... afterall it's a part of ancient elephant corridor that extended from Shivaliks to Assam.

Another common sight is sun bathing Gharials (Gavials).

5. Re: Seeing wild elephants in Corbett

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Jim Corbett National...