We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Guides & Drivers

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Guides & Drivers

Can anyone please give me a rough idea of what would be considered fair as a tip to the guide and the driver for a trip into the NP? There are two of us, the drives will be in a Gypsy.

I did try booking an additional drive as we have a spare afternoon when we stay next month. I really wanted a Gypsy but see that the availability is virtually zero till the end of the year. Are the seats all bought-up by tour operators? Even our hotel can't help but will look out for a cancellation for me. Any other ideas where I could get one? I really don't want a Canter drive, I reckon it could be quite noisy with so many people and not great for photography.

Jaipur, Rajasthan
Level Contributor
264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Guides & Drivers

Its true that the bookings are almost full till the end of this year. Hailing from Rajasthan, even I am surprised with this. Probably huge rush is expected this year.

You can arrange another safari. Actually Canters are not that bad. They provide you the height and angle to take the picture properly. Try and sit next to the driver (2 persons can sit there).

Tipping is subjective. If a Tiger is sighted then sky is the limit. Generally I have paid any thing from Rs 100 to 300 ( I paid Rs 300 once after I sighted 3 tigers in one safari during June'10). Its upto you. Both guide and driver share it themselves

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Guides & Drivers

Many thanks for taking the time out to reply.

I have booked the last Gypsy seat online for that day for my husband so at least one of us can enjoy another drive. I have contacted the hotel and they are going to keep a lookout for any cancellations that may come up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I am posting another question on the forum, perhaps you would be so kind as to look at that also?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping Guides & Drivers

Hi Pathfynder,

Thanks for the info. I booked 3 safaris at the Park. I prefer the tipping is 100Rs/tiger.

What is the reasonable tipping for none?

Jaipur, Rajasthan
Level Contributor
264 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping Guides & Drivers

Rs 50 to 100 can be paid if no Tiger is sighted. If you are extremely lucky you may sight Caracal (I sighted once) and that is very rare animal.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping Guides & Drivers

Hi Pathfynder,

Thanks

6. Re: Tipping Guides & Drivers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 05:31