We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Hello everyone

we are going to be Arrive in Delhi on the 17th of Dec and leave on the 26th.

We will be traveling with our three young(but well traveled) kids, and my very fit parents. We would like to see Agra, Fatehpur sikri, Jaipur, Jaisalmer and/or Jodhpur.

Should we try to travel by train or road. Are the roads in good condition? Is 7 + driver too many to fit comfortably in a car?

Any advise would be appreciated :)

Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

I meant to post this in the Rajasthan forum, not the Ranthambore Forum!!

Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

Take one long train to jaisalmer from delhi and then beck with short travels ,mostly all city you mentined are well connnected bu trains or buses.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

i spend ALOT of time in rajasthan, based in Pushkar. a lot of travellers i meet will go delhi, agra, jaipur, pushkar, jaisalmer.. (sorry dont know fatehpur)

i havent been to agra yet but most people i meet say that you really only need one day there. like delhi, its aggressive and not much else to see except the taj.so think about arriving in the morning and leaving in the evening, if you can. keep in mind that delhi and agra and very very busy the first few days of your trip will be pretty crazy! but it will all slow down when you come to rajasthan.

Jodhpur is ok. its more of a manufacturing city for fabric and furniture.. only really a fort :) its fairly standard indian city. research pushkar. its a greta little place. quite touristy. cheap and fantastic shopping, can walk everywhere, no rickshaws or tuk tuks, and a good place to stay for a few days if you need to just slow down after delhi and agra.- especiallyif you're not sure if you want to go to jodhpur or not.

when i arrive in india i usually get the Shatabdi train from delhi to ajmer (also stops in jaipur) and then a taxi or a bus to pushkar. its only about 30mins away. the Shatabdi is great. a/c, breakfast, tea. newspaper... and the food is fine!! made on the train not by strangers who jump on the train when it stops.

there is also a night bus that goes direct from pushkar to jasalmer, i only know this coz i stay at a hotel near the bus stop and many other guests get this bus. its a sleeper bus and it leaves at 11 and arrives early morning in jaisalmer. you get your own bed compartment or if you want, there is one double sleeper compartment, maybe if you want yor kids to stay together.

travelling by car is fine. more expensive. roads arent great, but you just pay more for a larger car :)

i just realised you're only in india for 10days! this is what i woudl do.. delhi for a night, agra for a day, jaipur for 2days (see the fort and city palace), pushkar for a couple of days, then jaisalmer. (sorry dont know anything about the other places)

you're goign to be pushing for time to do all of that in 10 days... but good luck! its a wonderful part of the country and im sure you'll have heaps of fun!

4. Re: Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan- Road or trian?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2011, 06:23