We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Magnetic Island
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Planning to stay in Dazhai village on our trip to the terraces.

Lonely Planet lists :"Yinhe Luguan ' as only reasonable accommodation there.

I am looking for more chioces (if available) .

Would appreciate comments from travellers who have been there recently !!

Cheers Fred

Guilin
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Yangshuo County, Longsheng County
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Hi,

I have been there several times and know the best choice should be Quanjinglou guesthouse or Fengjinglou guesthouse. Quanjinglou means that you will have an overview of the whole village.

Magnetic Island
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Hi there,thank you very much for your prompt reply !!

Can I bother you for a few more details about your recommended guesthouses ?

First I must admit that my wife and I are not springchickens any more:61 +71 years young actually.

Therefore lugging 15kg suitcasses up the teracces to a guesthouse is a bit past us.So a few more details about location and facilities would be nice.

Thank you,Regards Fred

Guilin
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Yangshuo County, Longsheng County
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Oh, if so, you need to tell us your detailed plan. Will you drive from Guilin to Dazhai and stay there for one night? No further hiking around? Personally, I do not wish you visit Dazhai or even Longshen Terraced Fields at your age. First, it takes about 3 hours to drive to Dazhai and the driving make you feel dazzling. Second, there are just simple guesthouses but no hotel. Just a small private bathroom, hot water provided, air-conditioner sometimes does not work well, some mosquitoes during warm seasons. Third, anything urgent happens will cause dangerous damage to you. If you really want to go, I recommend Pingan Village where you can book a five star hotel named Li An Lodge.

Suitcases are not a problem as you can have some help you there, but you need to pay for it.

I suggest that you’d better to have a guide who can go with you and help you all over this adventure.

Magnetic Island
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Hi again,

I am honestly touched by your wishes for us not to go ,mainly because of our age.

But I might have given you the impression that we are unable to hike, travel by local bus etc.actually we have been doing this for the last 15 years all over Asia. Like hiking national parks in Korea,tracks in Laos,Cambodia,,just came back from hilltribe hiking around Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son etc.last June .And all this on a basic budget (because I am a pensioner).

So,we are both pretty fit and always do our own planning.NO guided tours and herd treatment.

Our accommodation is always local guesthouses,hostels ,

only stipulation nowerdays is having our own ensuite if possible.

We will go to Dazhai by bus from Guilin via Longsheng on our own.

Guesthouses in Dazhai with basic facilities is NO PROBLEM,we want to stay only 2 nights and then off to Yangshuo.

So please:a few more details about the 2 guesthouses you mentioned ((price,ensuite,food,distance from Dazhai bus stop) would be very helpfull.

Sorry to drag this out so much and if you should decline to post an answer,

no harm done.

Thanks again,Fred

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

I stayed in Tiantouzhai Village at Jin Tian Hotel . It has private bathrooms and the owner speaks English. It's up the hill from Dazhai village, but there are porters who will carry your bags for around 10 Rmb.

See tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1159371-d14898…

and http://Www.ljjtjd.com

Instead of going all the way to Longsheng, get off the bus at Heping 和平鄉

There should be a Dazhai minibus waiting at the road junction.

Earlier this year the bus from Guilin to Heiping cost 17 Rmb (2 hr 20 mins), and then the bus from Heiping to Dazhi cost 7 Rmb (1 hr).

Edited: 25 December 2009, 07:34
KL
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Do not lug your 15 kg suitcases up to the teracces. Store your luggage at bus station or train station. Take a light backpack that contains what you need for 2 nights.

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Also try this address for the guesthouse: http://www.ljjtjd.com/index0.asp I am in China ta the moment and the site won't open for me, but maybe you will have better luck. Cost is around 70-100Rmb a room. Food is quite good. It's about a one hour walk up the hill from Dazhai village to Tiantouzhai Village. The owner, or one of her family will meet you when you get off the bus and take you to the hotel. Lots of westerners stay there who speak no Chinese so no need to worry. Personally I think it is better to stay in Tiantouzhai Village than Dazhai as you will be half way up the hill and looking down on the terraces, so the view is much better.

Yangshuo
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Dazai village and its surrounding terraced rice fields is much big than Pingan,because it's another 14km from Pingan village,so it's less tourists especialy less tour groups there.most of the Dazai village include the people's custom and lifestyle didn't influence a lot by the developing tourism business compare to Pinan village.So it will be more peaceful and unsophisticated. but something has already changed day by day.

There are three view points at Dazai rice terrace,there are located at north,east and west independently.Tian tou village is located at the hillside,and most of hostels located there.it's also a very good plateform to reach each of the view points. it takes 40 minutes to get there from the entrance.most of the hostel can provide free pick up service.that's mean the staff can help you to carry the baggage.there are also many local ladies can provide "carry' service. 30-50RMB for the piece of 10-30Kg.

Usually,if you stay at Guilin riverside hostel, The staff of the hostel can arrange the minivan to pick you up in the morning to Dazai directly,and help you to book the hosel of Dazai,once you arrive at Dazai village,Maybe the staff of your hostel has already waited for you there! you may stay one night in Dazai,and take the minivan back to Guilin city at the next day.It's quite easy.

malaysia
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

Hi, sorry to bug in as I think it's more helpful to keep one thread active instead of too many threads.

I am planning to visit Guilin in mid January and wish to include Longsheng. I wonder if there is any nicer season for the rice terraces ? How will they look like by next month ?

Which are the must-see places and how much will it take ? Is one full day enough ? I am a young and energetic traveller travelling with just a mid-size backpack, so travel is easy.

Is it worth going to Sanjiang too or shall I save the time and better go to Zhangjiajie and Fenghuang ?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dazhai village (Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces)

The rice terraces might be a little bleak in January - although if the flooding has started and the sun is out, the reflections will be great. I'd spend the night there if possible.

I really like Chengyang Bridge and recommend a couple of days there. Lots of places and villages to walk and see. However, again January might be cool to cold.

Fenghuang is very touristy but perhaps worth a night. Avoid weekends and holidays.