We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pingan or Dazhai?

Which Longsheng County hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Pingan or Dazhai?

Is it better to visit Pingan or Dazhai for best views of the rice terraces? Or is it possible to both in one day?

I arrive at Guilin Airport at 5:30pm, will transfer to a hotel in Longsheng and the following day will visit the rice terraces. So I'll already be in Longsheng in the morning.

Can anyone advise please - thanks.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pingan or Dazhai?

Overnight in Dazhai, take cable car to the top, hike to Pingan, or do the reversed, come back to Guilin.

uk
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pingan or Dazhai?

Thanks. Is the hike between from Dazhai to Pingan difficult? I've read it takes around 4 hours?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pingan or Dazhai?

Not difficult, but not good to do it in rain time.

uk
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pingan or Dazhai?

Thanks. We'll stay in Dazhai. Can someone please advise on the Cable Car. I've read that it takes you up to viewing point 3. Would we then also be able to go to viewing point 1 and 2 from viewing point 3 by walking/hiking to them?

If I take the cable car, does that mean I wouldn't be able to do the hike from Dazhai to Pingan. My Hotel, mentioned that you either take the cable car or do the hike to Pingan?

Thanks,

I'm

Shenzhen
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pingan or Dazhai?

There is a small trail from point 1 to 3, but it's not well marked and we got a bit lost trying to go directly from 1 to 3. Not a problem at all, it was a beautiful hike, but we ended up descending before we got to point 3 ( must have taken a wrong turn somewhere) so we ended up in Dazhai village.

The hike from Dazhai to Pingan is about 4-4.5 hours one way, absolutely stunning ( we got a bit lost around Zhonglu village, many of the trails have unmarked forks!) and worth the effort.

The cable car is running but I'd recommend hiking up from Dazhai to point 3 and back down again over taking the cable car. That's about a 3-4 hour round trip hike, also beautiful.

The whole area is gorgeous, you can't go wrong, just do the hike that takes your fancy when you're there. Enjoy!

uk
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pingan or Dazhai?

Thanks for this. Did you cover Dazhai viewpoint 1 and 3 and the hike to Pingan in the same day?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pingan or Dazhai?

Can I present another view? We were two adults and a six year old. We did the cable car (return trip 120 RMB; free for under 1.2m kids) and did a circular hike from the top of the cable car (which is at view point No. 3). It took us under an hour and afforded opportunities to explore and photograph along the way. There is another circular route you can take or do both. We did just the one and felt satisfied that we'd had a good flavour of things. The cable car was well worth the money spent; the vantage point is great and you can photograph people in the terraces below unnoticed --- great daily life shots without intruding...

BTW, did you know there are venomous snakes in the area? That made me think twice about backpacking ... Apparently there were tigers in the area until the 1960's too!

Shenzhen
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pingan or Dazhai?

Depending on what sort of shape you're in, of course, i don't think you could do the point 3 hike and the hike to Pingan in one day. It's fairly strenuous, lots of uphill climbs. Best to split them up. We did a hike to Pingan, lunch in Pingan and got a car back to Dazhai, then hiked back up to tiantou, and that was a very full day.

We didn't see any snakes at all in our 6 days of hiking around, for the record.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 03:26
9. Re: Pingan or Dazhai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 16:15