We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

Lagos, Nigeria
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

We are a couple Thinking of spending a week in the Gambia from 29th December to the 6th of January. Would advise from this forum on wether Gambia is a good destination for a relaxing romantic break

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Market Harborough
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

It will depend very much where you stay...if your budget runs to somewhere like Ngala Lodge then yes.....or if you are happy in very simple beachside accommodation such as Boboi Lodge then yes. You may find the mainstream hotels not so romantic !

Lagos, Nigeria
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

Thanks LeiscesterBob

I have a good amount budgeted that can accommodate luxury break for two. Would like specific reasons for your recommendations if you don't mind

Market Harborough
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

Ngala lodge is a small boutique type hotel right on the beach with a well recommended restaurant. About 30 mins from the airport. I think they have a website. May be fully booked over new year though.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

It depends if you want to be on your own most of the time. Boboi Lodge is very remote with little around it. I would be stir crazy after a couple of days, but seaside and sand does nothing for me...I live not far from the coast at home so theres no great attraction there!

I cant comment on Ngala lodge as I havent been before but it does have a good reputation.

If you want a nice place, with lots going on around it I would suggest the Kairaba Hotel...possibly the best hotel in Senegambia (Kololi) and within walking distance of loads of bars, restaurants , clubs etc.

There are a few really nice romantic restaurants with good chill out music... Greem Mamba is one, 5 minutes walk from the hotel. There are also a couple of small intimate clubs, Paparazzi and Aquarius where you get good cocktails.

Ive experienced two honeymoons and I do appreciate that you want time on your own but after a few days its nice to get out and enjoy the nightlife!

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

Hi Nijilagos

Welcome to our forum!!

Coco ocean Resort and Spa would my ideal place for a romantic break, it's not in the tourist area but it not that far out just a short taxi drive away or a good evening stroll and a taxi back!!

You can always find night life (such as it is in The Gambia) but you can't always find the peace, quiet and tranquility and luxury that this hotel seems to have!!

I will admit that I have never stayed here mainly because we try to visit 3 times a year and it would blow my budget on just one visit!!

Here is a link for you!!

gambia.co.uk/Hotel/…

Breeze

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Lagos, Nigeria
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

Thanks Breeze

Currently checking out the hotel. I hope will be able to get a room for the period

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

Good luck Niji!!

I hope that you find something too!!

Best wishes

Breeze

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

I have stayed at Coco and yes it does tick the boxes for a romantic week.

Evening meals and service generally were very disappointing last January but I've read better reviews this year but we've already booked B&B and will eat out in the evenings when we return in January.

Lunches in the restaurant by the beach and thai evening meals are lovely & relaxing.

There's a lovely spa if your budget allows too.

The rooms are of various sizes and spread out across the hotel grounds but all well appointed.

There's plenty of space for sun loungers either on the beach, in the gardens or by the pools.

There are other nice hotels - our most romantic and relaxing place to stay in Gambia is Mandina but it is a long way from the rest of the tourist areas

Hope you find what you're looking for

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
9. Re: Is Gambia a good destination for a romantic break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Brufut
Recent Conversations